"Deserve More"

Word count: 1370

Prompt: Umbrella

Notes:

• Cordelia Hall, Maureen Lowell, Jo Wilson and Rita are all OC's created by StorySnippets SaharaCastine and myself

• And of course thank you to StorySnippets for always being there and helping me💜

•Lastly, keep in mind that I rarely write about Peter, so... this may not be great and I don't know in the least bit how to write how he feels🤠

°

Work had been slow and agonizing all day, and by the time he had left and was walking home, the rain started up and would not relent, so he had dashed for the nearest payphone with a covering and had hunkered down there.

The windows of the small building were covered in trailing raindrops and his watch ticked away on his wrist. Twenty minutes had passed since he had left work.

Peter needed to get home. But he was postponing it because he knew he'd be soaked by the time he got home, his umbrella was still at home, at the front door, leaning against the wall. The weather had looked clear when he had left for work and the sky didn't look stormy- until out of the blue it did.

And now he was stuck in a payphone booth and waiting for the storm to pass. But he was beginning to seriously doubt if it ever would go.

The familiar pinging of the heavy rain on the red roof of the payphone stall kept reminding him over and over that he needed to get home.

His family would be getting worried. And, he would call them, if it wasn't for the fact that their home phone had recently stopped working- and they couldn't afford to fix it just yet.

That was a typical thing, not being able to afford things. Their poverty hadn't changed even in the wonderful country of America. Everyone had said this country would be a breath of fresh air, but, for Peter, it seemed it had been his downfall. Rita had dumped him here, he'd met Maureen Lowell here, and Cordelia Hall.

His life had only gone downhill the minute he had set foot here, everything seemed to get worse and worse. His parents were dead, he was suddenly dumped because the girl he loved actually loved his brother, he started drinking, he met girls he knew weren't good influences, dated some, flirted with others, and the worst part of all of this was that he simply hadn't cared.

Until; he had.

After his parents had died, that day at the train station, he'd met a girl.

Just a girl.

But for that girl, he would've done anything, he would've given up everything.

Joanne Wilson. Quiet, sweet, and nothing like the girls he'd flirted with at the bar. Nothing like that. She was so... good.

Too good for him, he knew. He was a mess up. The disgrace of the family. The embarrassment.

Peter Pevensie. The kid who was perfect and good and fine- and it never got him anything.

But now, now he'd take back the perfect boy he used to be, even if it was all fake. Just for Jo. Maybe then...

He wasn't worth it though, he knew that. She wouldn't want him, not a broken man.