"Something Like That"

Word count: 3355

Prompt: Colorful

Notes:

• Harrin and his family are all OC's created by StorySnippets SaharaCastine and myself

°

He'd decided a few months ago that by the time the trees shed their orange and red leaves he would have Gael's present all ready. She would need it for this weather.

But now, as they walked down the familiar pathway to his home, he felt his stomach drop. For weeks he'd searched high and low, every store and shop and trader— but none had what he needed.

He wanted the perfect blanket. But everywhere he searched, they were hideous. Each one was either too plain or too ornate. None were in the middle, none looked good enough.

Gael wrapped her cloak tighter around herself, "Hey... you seem quiet? What's wrong?" She came nearer, her cloak seemingly not warm enough for her as she nestled halfway into his.

Harrin snuggled her close to his side, feeling the gravel crunch under his boots, "Just thinking, that's all."

"A secret?"

He nodded.

She frowned, "What is it though?"

"Something you can't know, " He took her hand, "That's what secrets are about. You'll know what it is soon."

A mischievous glint flickered in his eyes before he spun her around in his cloak, "Don't get all stressed about it, just be patient."

Gael huffed and disentangled herself from out of his cloak, walking faster down the road, "Fine."

Then his eyebrows raised and he held in a squeal; he had the perfect idea!

But he would need the help of everyone he knew, and some he didn't.

°°°

The minute Gael left, Harrin leapt into action, eyeing the darkening sky and telling himself to hurry. If he did indeed hurry, he might be able to finish this present in two days.

Pushing his dish full of dinner to the side, not really hungry for it, and seeing that it was the same thing they always ate, Harrin bit his lip and stared at his mother.

"Harri? What is it?" She asked, looking up from where she washed all the dishes in a tub.

"You know how to sew, right?"

His mother gave him a strange look but then shrugged, "Yes... I can. And so can the girls— well, mostly. Why? If you need something mended... just put it in that basket over there and I'll get to it tomorrow."

"I need something made. Nicely made, so, I need you to make it," Getting up from his seat at the table, Harrin carefully picked up his dish and then Carnation's and Magnolia's, but Percius got up and gave his dish to Mother himself, prancing away to the other room.

For a brief moment, he almost went to get Father's plate, but then he remembered that his dad's work had been switched around and now all of his hours were at strange times. He wouldn't eat dinner until early in the morning.

As she took the plates from Harrin, she eyed him, "Is this something you need made for a certain someone?"

His cheeks burned, "Mother... It's for Gael. I need it by... in two days."