"Breathless"

Word count: 2644

Prompt: Chilly

Notes:

• I don't usually write about Aravis, Cor, Corin, or The Golden Age, so, sorry if this is rough.

• I have no idea who the enemies are or where Lucy and Corin are🤷🏻 So, I guess that's just for you to decide🕵🏻

• And I also equally have no idea what the scream was or what it came from, I guess another thing you can decide🕵🏻🤷🏻

°

Up in the dull silvery sky, millions upon millions of water droplets, each twinkling in the grey light, breaking out from behind the gloomy clouds, fell.

As they fell, more and more droplets appeared, seemingly with no intention of stopping. No end in sight.

When the droplets reached nearer to the ground, they crystallized in the frigid air, turning a pure white and each taking on a unique silhouette.

The snowflakes fluttered around each other, creating dainty designs in the atmosphere.

And then slowly, the snowflakes covered the ground, with no space left unveiled.

Loud gusts of wind charged from all sides and the air howled in the shivery weather.

Snowflakes nestled their way into each other, creating a wash of blank canvas over everything. The sky was white, nothing could be seen.

Susan trudged her way through the blizzard, not even feeling as the snow sank into her boots and drenched her stockings.

Her breath billowed out of her mouth with each footfall in the snow and a bitter chill bit at every part of her exposed skin.

She couldn't think. Not yet anyway.

There would be time to reflect on things later, but for now, she just had to keep moving.

If she stopped, she might stop forever; and that couldn't happen.

Somewhere along the way, in the snow-filled world, she'd lost Edmund and Cor. Hopefully, the two still had each other, but, she couldn't turn back to look for them, she had to keep moving.

If she lost her stride, she could lose her life and everyone that she needed to save. Everyone whom she loved so desperately.

As the blizzard whipped around her, Susan stumbled over some unseen obstacle.
Her ankle twisted beneath her, sending her sprawling. A wave of dizziness struck her, making her feel like she was spinning, the world wobbled and danced in her vision.

Snow swirled up from the ground to meet her face. The storm howled, threatening to engulf her. She needed to get up. Get to her feet, keep going, she needed to- something caught hold of her arm, pulling her up.

Susan screamed, her voice carried away in the wind.

Barely, she heard her name being yelled and she opened up her eyes and turned, seeing a tall, lean figure holding her tight.

Her breath returned. Edmund. He didn't look too badly injured, maybe his leg was bleeding and there was a scratch on his cheek, otherwise, he looked okay.

But then almost instantly the air was sucked out of her.

Where was Cor?

She doubled her eyes around where they were but didn't catch onto another figure.

Widening her eyes, she grabbed madly at Ed's arm and he winced, "Where is Cor? Last I saw he was with you?"

"Good to know you're alive too," He rolled his eyes, shouting through the wind, still tightly holding onto his sister, clasping at her wool cloak, "We were separated."