"Just Great"

Word count: 2023

Prompt: Feast

Notes:

• Rita Alden, the Booker family, Timothy and Robert Jackle, and Edith Winterblott are all OC's created by StorySnippets SaharaCastine and myself

°

How had Aunt Alberta even seen him? Out of all the times she could've been oblivious, now would've been the best time.

But she had seen him, and the stern expression on her face made it obvious she was not happy with his choices.

Carelessly, Edmund dropped his hand to his side, ignoring the temptation to quickly snatch the cookie and run. It could be his only bite of edible food for the whole day.

The smell of hot food that wasn't only turnips made his mouth water, but, if any of the kids got the good food- he'd be shocked. All the adults would gobble down the scrumptious meal and leave the children with the turnips and crumbs.

Susan scurried past him, her lips pouted and her eyes set with determination, "Ed, come help bring out some food."

When he gave her a look, she frowned, "Please, Edmund, for once, listen?"

With a scowl, he moped behind his sister to the kitchen, hearing Aunt Alberta follow.

He didn't feel like helping, but it looked like he was being forced. And he should help, the rest of his siblings were.

In the kitchen, no one could move without bumping into someone else. Everybody accidentally ran into the back of him with something which caused his anger to climb. Ed grunted, today was going to be awful.

Through the people and noise, somehow, sadly, Susan remembered him and handed him a bowl of horrid-smelling mashed turnips, "Put this on the table."

Duh. No, he was actually going to put it on the floor, on the welcome mat, to greet guests. Ed rolled his eyes, squeezed through everyone, and broke free to the still-full dining room.

After setting down the mashed turnips, the doorbell rang, and Peter immediately made his way over.

Cold air snuck its way inside and blew the aroma of food into his nose again. His shoulders drooped.

It was Mr. Booker and his entire family. He'd known they were coming but it was still a shock.

Edmund was sort of hoping one of the Booker children had been "unfortunately" unable to come. Or perhaps, the whole Booker family had been awfully- so sad- met with other plans and had to cancel.

But, Mr. Booker, Ed's school principal, clasped his hands behind his back, "Ah, hello Peter. Good to see you on this fall day."

Pete nodded, "Hello. Good to see you. Happy Fall." He shut the door after they all stepped inside, biting his lip.

Someone's voice carried above as they all greeted Peter.

"Eddie?" There was no doubt that that was Terrance Booker. That tone was unmistakable.

Ed cringed and ignored the voice, pretending to fix a plate on the table.
Why hadn't he locked himself in the bedroom? Acted sick? Dead? Ran off? Anything but this.