Chapter 4: May We Defeat This Dullahan!

Everyone including the four of us rushed to the main gate.

"Oh, just as I suspected. This guy's here again."

There were already many adventurers gathered by the time I reached the main gate.

And that guy was there again, standing quite some distance away from the crowd of adventurers. Though, it's more like the adventurers were keeping a respectable distance from him.

Indeed. It was that Demon King's General, Dullahan.

I was a bit curious when I saw the troubled faces of the adventurers preceding me, but I understood why when I looked at what was behind the Dullahan.

Unlike the last time, he brought a whole army of monsters with him.

It was a group of knights wearing tattered armor.

They seemed emaciated, and the cracks in their armor and helmets were visible if you looked closely. If you look too closely, you might even catch a glimpse of the rotting flesh underneath.

With just a glance, it was clear that the armored knights were undead.

After seeing Megumin and me, it roared.

"Day after day I've patiently waited... I even set up a luxurious plate of dinner on my finest table, crafted by my finest servants to have a small chat with you until we would eventually have our final battle... So why haven't you sufferable inhuman filths entered my castle yet...!"

Oh dear...

I forgot all about this guy...

I really can't seem to take a break.

I walked in front of Megumin to protect her and asked the Dullahan,

"Well... You invited us to the castle, but that doesn't mean we must go. And what do you mean by 'inhuman'? We stopped casting explosion magic, so why are you angry?"

The Dullahan was furious when he heard me and was on the verge of throwing the thing in his left hand onto the ground... But he remembered that that was his head and instead shifted it to his abdomen.

"Stopped casting explosion?! You say it stopped?! Stop lying to me! That crazy Crimson Demon girl is still visiting every day!"

"Huh?"

After hearing that, I turned to look at Megumin.

She averted her eyes immediately.

"Did you do this...? I told you not to, but you still went?"

"Ow! Ow! Ow! It hurts! Stop! No, listen to me, Kazuma! I was satisfied with casting explosion on an empty plain not so long ago... But after I knew the charm of attacking a castle with magic, my body changed and I could only accept big and hard things...!"

"Don't fidget around while saying that! And you can't move after casting your spell, so that means you have an accomplice! Who in the world..."

I pinched Megumin's cheeks while saying so, and it was Aqua's turn to avert her gaze this time, whistling a tune as if she wasn't part of the conversation.

"It's you, right–!?"

"Wahhh! Quit it! That Dullahan was the reason we can't get any good quests, so I wanted to vent some of my frustration! Besides, it wasn't only me that went with Megumin! You know I'm smart enough not to be monster bait if they would've ambushed us!"

After finishing pinching Aqua's cheeks, I glared at Darkness, whose expression definitely looked guilty.

I'll lecture her later...