Chapter 9: May This Masked Devil Vanish!

"Satou Kazuma! Is Satou Kazuma here–?!"

Just as Megumin had warned, Sena burst into the room with an unmistakable anger.

"Again? What's the matter this time? Is it frogs? Or has something else gone awry?"

I inquired, somewhat taken aback by Sena's intense aura.

"It's the dungeon! What have you done to the Keele dungeon near town? I've heard that hordes of mysterious monsters have emerged from there!"

Sena exclaimed, her face turning red with anger.

Mysterious monsters? It seemed to be the same issue that had been circulating in town recently.

"No... Wait, this has nothing to do with us! While we did venture into the dungeon earlier, placing the blame solely on me whenever there's a problem is unreasonable!"

Hearing me say that, my companions nodded in agreement.

Their reactions indicated that they were unaware of any trouble they might have caused.

Sena, however, continued to eye me suspiciously.

"That may be true, but you were the last group to enter that dungeon. Given your history, the probability that you're not somehow involved is quite..."

"What twisted reasoning is this? We genuinely have no knowledge of what's happening this time, do we? There's no issue caused by us, right?"

The three girls vigorously shook their heads in agreement.

Seeing their response, Sena appeared somewhat skeptical but decided to trust us, at least for the moment.

"This is problematic... I can't think of anyone else but you guys who might be responsible for such chaos. I may need to hire investigators..."

Sena commented, glancing in our direction.

She was attempting to invoke the 'Is there anyone available to help?' look.

"Oh, Ms. Prosecutor, are you suggesting that your prime suspects should aid in the investigation? We're already swamped trying to prove his innocence. Emphasis on the 'his'."

Megumin astutely observed, catching on to Sena's intent.

Sena visibly struggled with Megumin's remark but ultimately turned her attention back to me.

"I don't have the time for this, sorry but I have to reject you."

I firmly rejected Sena, causing her to take a deep breath and slump her shoulders in response.

"You're right. I can't impose on you when you're not involved in this matter. But if you have a change of heart, please consider assisting me. I'll be heading to the adventurer's guild."

She said before turning and departing from the mansion.

Once Sena had left, I released a heavy sigh.

Dealing with people like her always left me uneasy, perhaps because of her straightforwardness and the rarity of individuals with clear consciences in our town.

"Well, I am somewhat intrigued by those mysterious monsters flooding out from the dungeon... But we have pressing matters to attend to. First, we must clear my name of suspicion, and then we need to compensate the landlord for his mansion. In the end, there are no solutions in sight for either of these problems."

That was the current situation.

"Hey, Darkness, can we discuss..."

"Forget about borrowing money; I've already helped you enough. Besides, I'd like to witness the Kazuma who's at his wit's end."