Chapter 8: May This Noblewoman Betroth!

A few days had passed since Darkness left to agree to Alderp's wishes.

As each day passed, I worried more and more, even though there weren't any emergency announcements broadcasted throughout the town about Darkness going missing or anything like that.

So there was really no reason for me to stay up in the middle of the night, waiting for Darkness to return to the mansion, right?

After all, that old man Alderp didn't pose a threat to everyone's well-being in the mansion. 

Right?

But my anxiety kept me awake.

As I fretted about Darkness, Sena barged into my mansion as if she owned the place and demanded that I solve the giant frogs problem caused by Megumin and Darkness.

Once again, I found myself cleaning up after them.

I thought having Kiritsu in my possession would make it easy to deal with the giant frogs, but I quickly learned that he had his own preferences when it came to what and whom to cut.

He refused to harm the giant frogs surrounding the town because of how disgusting the slime was.

How could he cut through rotting zombie flesh but not through frog slime? I couldn't fathom the logic.

In the end, it was Megumin's "rival" or best friend, Yunyun, who saved the day before being turned into frog waste.

Yunyun was a cute girl the same age as Megumin, which meant I couldn't make any moves on her until she grew older.

I had my principles and preferences, after all.

Yunyun proved to be surprisingly more useful than Megumin.

She could cast a spell and remain unparalyzed, which was a significant improvement.

But despite the positives she brought to the table, something in the back of my head told me not to get too involved with her.

Unfortunately, I let my thoughts slip out in front of Megumin, and she took it as an offense, drenching me in frog slime.

To get back at her, I took a bath with her while keeping my important parts modestly covered with a towel

I had made it clear that I wasn't interested in little girls, but she attempted to test my resolve, and I stayed true to my word as someone who advocated for gender equality.

Of course, every decision I made with these girls had consequences, and soon enough, Aqua found out about our test of resolve. 

I fear for the nicknames that she could come up with. 

...

"Hey, Aqua, don't make me waste my breath; just give up that seat. Since Darkness isn't back, we won't be embarking on any quests today either. I need to catch up on everything I've missed regarding my future business plan."

Upon hearing my words, Aqua, who was monopolizing the spot on the couch in front of the fireplace as usual, squinted her eyes while letting out a yawn.

She replied:

"Why are you so irritable? You've been rather hysterical lately. There's no need to act this way just because Darkness isn't back yet. Let's put that aside for now. I heard that girl Yunyun said something to Megumin. You know, everything has its price. If you want me to vacate this cozy spot for you, you must offer something that truly pleases me. Let me think, to be more specific..."

Aqua paused, taking a moment to ponder.

"If you wish for the place where the goddess resides... Offer me some high-class wine. Only then will the warm light guide the path for this lost NEET."