Chapter 6

My GPS takes me to a pawn shop in the city where I'm from. I park in the alley and make my way towards the building. This place has always looked sketchy. I've never actually seen anyone go in or come out of here. I cautiously enter the shop while glancing over my shoulder to see Anthony jogging across the street to grab a drink from the gas station. The only light inside is the natural light from the windows which happen to be covered in a thick layer of dust. I take slow steps towards the register while looking around. Everything is dusty and doesn't look like it's been touched in years. It looks as if it was abandoned. I'm already on edge and the floor creaking beneath my feet only heightens my senses even more. The sound of someone racking a shotgun causes chills to surge through my body and my face pales. A figure appears behind the counter and I throw my hands up, shrieking as I duck. "No! I'm here for Jay."

"Who?" an old raspy voice asks.

"Javier Medina," I say quickly in my panic. "Please. Just let me go."

I watch as the old man places the shotgun down. "Oh. You should've said so instead of tip toeing around," he grumbles. "Wait right here while I get his package."

He disappears through the doorway and I drop my hands in defeat. What that hell was that? I was tip toeing around because this place is creepy as hell and the only man didn't help that any. My hands shake involuntarily as my heart races. I feel nauseous. I slowly stand up straight and take a few cautious steps forward. The man emerges with a medium sized box, struggling to lift it onto the counter. Grunting, he finally gets it over the edge and pushes it towards me. He tosses a box of Hostess cupcakes on top of the box. "Do I owe you anything for... whatever this is?" I ask, glancing down at the mysterious box.

He cackles which quickly turns into a cough. "You're new around here, huh?"

"I guess you could say that."

"What's your name?"

"Isabel."

"It's all taken care of. Don't look in the box and make sure Mr. Medina gets his cupcakes."

Nodding, I pick up the heavy box and make my way out the door, still coming down from my adrenaline rush. Anthony still isn't back so I put the box in the car then run my fingers through my hair anxiously. What have I gotten myself into? The first task he sends me to do and I already had a gun pointed at me. "Hey beautiful. I've been calling you."

Great. Just what I need. Do I have the worlds worst luck or what? "Not now William," I say, slowly pacing beside the car.

"Come on, babe. Don't be like that."

"William, I'm serious. Stay the fuck away from me."

Wrapping my hands around my wrists, he forces me back, pinning my hands against the brick wall. "I didn't let you get away with talking to me like that while we were together, what makes you think I'll let you get away with it now?" I refuse to look at him or fight him which angers him even more. "Look at me."

Putting my hands together, he pins them with one hand while using the other to grab my face. His fingers curl around my cheeks painfully, causing me to cry out. "Let me go," I demand.

There is no room between us for me to knee him or stop him in any way. "Are you fucking some rich guy now? Huh? Who's car is this?"

Anthony suddenly appears behind him. Grabbing the back of William's shirt, he yanks him back before throwing one hell of a punch. William falls to the ground while holding his cheek, cussing. Anthony withdraws a gun and aims it him. "What? You don't have anything to say now?" Anthony yells angrily.

Holy shit. I rub my cheek as I watch the events fold out in front of me. William holds up his hands in defeat. "I'm sorry."

"Don't tell me, tell her."