Chapter 13

After an uneventful flight with Jay, Anthony and a few other men, we land in California. I sit in the third row of the large SUV as Jay drives us to the hotel. His eyes meet mine in the rear view and I'm reminded of this morning. He gently woke me up in time for our flight. Once again, I was cuddled up to his side. He didn't seem to mind although he didn't show much emotion. Jay requested we rent a house at Point Arena Lighthouse so there was enough room for everyone and we'd all be under one roof. It's a three bedroom house with a couple sofas for additional sleeping space. We arrive after about an hour of driving and Jay assigns rooms, giving me the master bedroom which has a queen sized bed. I notice he doesn't give himself a room. I had groceries delivered beforehand so I could cook for the men. I didn't plan on having so many so I hope there's enough.

The men sit around the table discussing their plans but I don't pay much attention. I believe whatever we're here for is related to the men who were shot. I begin cooking the taco meat and making homemade tortillas. I dish out some tortilla chips, queso and homemade salsa, placing it around the table for the men to enjoy. They immediately dig in as I return to the kitchen. Grabbing enough beer for everyone, I return to the table to pass them out. "Damn. She's good. We have to keep her," one of the men says, accepting the beer.

A few men hum in agreement. "I plan to," Jay says with a small smile, staring down at his phone.

I blush slightly from all of the compliments, giving them a shy smile before returning to my place in the kitchen. I sip on a glass of wine as I flip the tortillas with my free hand. After about twenty minutes, dinner is ready. Knowing how Jay likes his tacos, I quickly make his plate before announcing that dinner is ready. The men head for the kitchen as I place Jay's plate in front of him along with a new beer. "She can do it," Anthony insists. "She's young and beautiful. She has a great personality. Why wouldn't he go for it?"

"No," Jay says sternly.

Anthony turns to me exasperatedly. "Isabel, tell him."

"What?" I ask, confused.

One of the men hands me my wine glass that I forgot in the kitchen and I accept it happily. "We have to get a man alone. All you'd need to do is get him up to his room then we'd do the rest."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. I'm clueless as to why he thinks I'm capable of doing that. Surely they should've brought Kim for something like that. She has the looks and attitude to attract a man. "I said no," Jay repeats.

What is the harm in me trying? If the guy turns me down, then it'll be over with and they can try again with someone new. If he agrees, then maybe I can help them catch the guy. It's better than sitting here and being useless. "I can do it," I shrug, sipping on my wine.

Jay frowns, shaking his head. "No. It's too dangerous."

"How? We'll be right there," Anthony sighs, clearly annoyed.

"What if we don't get there in time? He won't take no for an answer."

The meaning of his words sets in and I frown. He doesn't want me alone in a room with this guy because he won't be able to protect me. I most likely wouldn't be able to stop him if he tried anything. "You wouldn't let that happen," I say softly. "I'll take it slow to give you guys time to get there."

Jay doesn't look happy but Anthony looks proud of himself. If we were beside a pool, he'd most likely be in it again. I dismiss myself to let them talk it over. After enjoying a couple tacos, I begin cleaning the kitchen. By the time I'm finished, Anthony enters the kitchen with keys in his hand. "We need to go get you a sexy outfit."

"Oh my leggings and t-shirt won't cut it?"

He laughs. "I don't think so."

"Where is Jay?"