Chapter 12

Although I turned down Jay's offer, he left the bag of money and gold behind. Maybe for me to reconsider. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hurt when he suggested I leave. The thought of running away and starting over may be enticing at times, but the outcome of when I tried that last wasn't very good. I'm content where I am. Devin did warn me about the business. Perhaps I should take the money and live happily ever after with him. Something tells me it won't be that simple.

Sighing, I grab the bag and peek out my door. The coast is clear so I dart across the hall and sneak into Jay's room. I need to find somewhere to keep it hidden until he returns. I don't want the responsibility of all this money. Entering his closet, I chuckle at the sight of his hanging clothing being perfectly spaced an inch apart. I tuck the bag away between some luggage and duffel bags. There. It blends right in. Exiting his room, I'm thankful I was not caught. I definitely don't want anyone assuming I'm snooping and I don't want to explain the money.

Maria went to the grocery store so Mariana and I have the house to ourselves. From the few times we've chatted, I've learned that she's is incredibly smart. She excelled in school, graduated high school two years early, and got her law degree already. Yet, she decided she wanted to be a model and put her career on hold. Her family is upset with her but she doesn't care. As long as she maintains her license, she can represent within the family business as needed and provide legal advice. Her lack of interest and her location is why Jay works with Devin. Apparently she's been featured in a few ads and has even won some pageants. It's no surprise. She's stunning just like her mother. The family has great genes.

Mariana is sitting at the island in the kitchen wearing a hot pink bikini with a black lace cover. Big sunglasses keep her hair pushed back from her face. She grins when she notices me. "Ah, just the person I wanted to see. Do you want to come swimming with me at a friends house? We'll only be gone for an hour or two at most."

I didn't pack for a fun vacation. A bikini was the last thing on my mind. "I don't have anything to wear. Your brother probably wants me to stay here anyways."

"I ran it by him and he said it was okay."

"Oh."

"Come on. I have a ton of swimsuits. Vendors send them to me all the time because they want me to advertise them," she says, grabbing my hand and dragging me to her room.

She goes into her closet while I take a look around. Her walls are pastel pink and there's a mix of black, white and pink furniture and decor. This room alone puts my entire apartment to shame. Well, old apartment that is. She returns with a tiny pink bikini and I immediately shake my head. She laughs before returning to her closet. This time she holds a simple black bikini that resembles the one I wear back home. I accept it and she also hands me a white lace cover. "Thank you," I say, accepting the items.

"No problem. Go change and I'll get the car started so it'll cool down."

I quickly change before meeting her outside. She drives a red Mercedes which is exactly what I expected from her. The house is only about twenty minutes away. It's nice but not even comparable to Maria's house. There are about ten other cars parked outside. We enter the house where everyone greets her excitedly. She introduces me to a few in passing. "I'm going to grab us drinks. I'll meet you outside," she says with a smile.

"Okay."

I turn to my right and exit the French doors that lead out to the lanai. There are a few people outside but they're all sitting around talking. I sit beside the pool and let my feet hang in the water. Closing my eyes, I tip my head back and soak in the sun. I wonder what Devin is doing right now... Does he miss me? I wish I woke up beside him this morning. Instead I woke up beside my boss in all of his morning glory. I'm just glad I woke up before him. I have to admit, it's the best I've slept in a long time. The sound of a familiar voice causes my eyes to pop open. Anthony. My eyes search for him until I spot him through a window beside Mariana. She smiles at him as she places her hands on his chest. He whispers something in her ear causing her to laugh. His lips meet hers and I gasp. Oh, poor Jade. How can I keep this from her? That explains why Mariana kept asking so many questions about him.