Chapter 18

Jay

Today Isabel is celebrating her birthday a day early with her family. I called her mother to ensure she keeps her occupied for as long as possible while we put together her surprise party. Jade took the initiative of planning it all. She has only involved me when it was time to pay or she needed a second opinion. Jade has thrown plenty of parties in the past and she's done an excellent job every time but I make sure she knows to do her best work this time around regardless of the costs. I stopped keeping track around eight grand. Everything is black and pastel pink with the exception of a few neon pink lights. The DJ is getting set up in the corner of the room while people walk back and forth to put up the decorations. Jade is running around frantically making sure everything is perfect.

I enter the kitchen to see if cake has been delivered. It's sitting in the counter and I shake my head at the size of it. No one ever actually eats cake the night of a party. No one wants a sugar rush before drinking. Jade still ordered a beautiful three tier cake with a bunch of little desserts on the side. The boys will eat it tomorrow after they've sobered up. Jade picked out a sexy pale pink satin wrap dress and Louis Vuitton pumps for Isabel, along with a birthday crown and sash. I added in a beautiful diamond necklace I bought for her yesterday. Jade dropped the items off to Mrs. Ortiz yesterday. The plan is to have her cousin Elena help her great ready for a night out at a club but instead they will be coming here. The thought of her in the dress is a huge turn on. She's not even in it yet and I'm itching to take it off of her. I know that won't happen though. We haven't had much time for each other recently. She's managed to keep me at arms length. No more kissing, just work related conversation with my occasional flirty comments. I still don't know what to expect between us.

Exiting the kitchen, I glance at my watch to check the time. Mrs. Ortiz said she would be back by eight. That's in fifteen minutes. I'd like to be the first to greet her so I decide to wait outside the front door. My good mood is ruined the moment I open the door. "Jay," Devin says, holding out his hand.

I reluctantly shake it. What is this asshole doing here? "Devin. Did you need something?"

"Oh, no. I was invited to the party. Isabel and I have been seeing each other. I'm got us a room at a beautiful bed and breakfast for next weekend. I hope she likes it."

There's a long awkward moment as I imagine ripping his head off. Allowing him in, I set out on a mission to find Jade. She definitely did not mention she'd be inviting any outsiders. She's on the back patio instructing a few men to place decorations in a specific spot. She glances at me but completely ignores my irritation. "Can I help you?" she asks, shaking her head at the men. "Are you blind? Center it! To the left."

"Can you please explain why Devin is here?"

She smiles, shrugging. "Who doesn't want birthday sex?"

My jaw clenches as I try to keep a level head. If anyone is giving her birthday sex it should be me. The thought sends my mind elsewhere and I almost forget the problem at hand. "He needs to leave. You should have ran this by me."

Turning to me, she crosses her arms over her chest. "He's your attorney. He already knows about most stuff that goes on here. This day isn't about you - it's about Isabel and I won't allow you to ruin it."

The day is most definitely about Isabel but that doesn't mean he should be here. I shake my head in frustration as I walk away. I guess I'll just have to wait to see who she gravitates to tonight at the party. There's a group of men standing around talking and drinking as I pass by. I snap my fingers and they quickly disperse. I've made it very clear that this event is all hands on deck so no one should be standing around. I impatiently check the time on my watch again and sigh. I can't wait to see her. Kim is waiting at my office door so I greet her with a quick peck on the corner of her mouth. Apparently her and Isabel consider each other friends since their conversation in the pool. She follows me into my office, closing the door behind her. Her hair and makeup are done up as usual and she wears a simple red dress that perfectly hugs each curve. Rather than following me around my desk like she typically does, she takes a seat across from me.  I raise my eyebrows in surprise. She must actually need to talk about something important. "Everything okay?"