Strength《九》

Jeong Hoon's POV

Mrs Do: "One of you would be needing to fly over to the states to take care of him."

Min Joon then says, "I'll go. Ha Na, you stay here and recover fast."

Ha Na, her voice filled with concern, responded, "Min Joon, please take care of yourself too. Update me if anything happens. I'll recover fast and come as soon as possible."

Min Joon nods his head.

Min Joon then walks up to Jeong Hoon, "Accompany me to the airport?"

I nodded, "Let's go."

-

Time Skip

As the car glided along the road towards the airport, a heavy silence hung in the air, punctuated only by the faint sound of Min Joon's sobbing. His grip on his phone tightened, in case he missed a crucial call amidst the chaos of his emotions.

"It's going to be okay." I assured him although I was not actually sure. Min Joon nodded, his gaze drifting towards the passing scenery outside the window. I did not know what to say honestly. I have been clueless on the things he has been through. It makes sense that I'm finally understanding the reason behind Mrs. Do's frequent absences from class.

We finally reached the airport and Min Joon looked back with tears in his eyes.

Min Joon: "I'm really sorry, Jeong Hoon. I have been thinking... and I don't think we can be together even as friends anymore. My mind is not in the right place. I will be focusing entirely on my dad. I'm sorry, Jeong Hoon."

Though every fibre of my being yearned to follow him to be there for him, my sister needed me which is why I replied to him.

"Ha Na and your mom will be with you. Just not yet. Don't worry. I know and understand. I'm still your friend even if you don't contact me."

Min Joon's voice trembled with doubt, "Really? Please don't lie to me. I don't want to lose you and have you resent me."

"What's wrong with you?" I smiled although I was hurting. It hurts seeing him like this. "I'm completely okay so long as you take care of your dad. Take care of your dad. Don't worry about me."

Min Joon: "What if people like Jung Jae bully you again? What if they hurt A Reum and Ha Na and I'm not there again."

"I'm here." I placed my hand on my chest assuring him. "I'll make sure nothing happens to us. We will learn to protect ourselves."

Min Joon: "Promise me, you won't get hurt."

He put out his pinkie finger just like the first promise we made. I smiled recalling the memories.

"I promise. Promise me you will tell me if anything happens."

With that, he pulled me into a hug and I also pulled him into a hug. Our feelings were mutual but we know our priorities so we decided to hold on to those feelings till we mature enough. We're still at the age of 18. As we pulled away, we looked at each other and Min Joon walked away with his suitcase.