Three

Hem-hem, hem-hem, Nadine grunted as she spun in circles, displaying the symptoms commonly seen in children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Mary carried a pamphlet detailing these characteristics, which she held dear and glanced at sympathetically.

Nadine's spinning grew faster and louder, causing Mary to worry. She feared that Nadine might stumble and hurt herself. Unable to bear it any longer, Mary yelled, "Stop it, Nad!" But Nadine ignored her calls, as children with autism often do not respond to their names. Finally, with a startled squeal, Nadine stopped and dropped to the floor, fingers in her ears, trying to block out the sharp sound coming from Cheta's room.

An angry Mary stormed into Cheta's room and discovered that the noise came from the television, which she promptly turned off. She then turned her gaze to Cheta, slouching on the sofa, fast asleep. The room fell silent, except for Cheta's loud snores. Despite her anger, Mary couldn't suppress her concern as she approached him. Her eyes scanned the empty beer bottles scattered on the floor and the pile of cigarette butts in the ashtray. She noticed Red, curled up in a corner, staring at his owner. Mary's hand reached out toward Cheta but quickly withdrew, realizing that she was only Nadine's caregiver, and she recalled Fay's warning.

Mary retreated to Nadine's room, where a calmer Nadine huddled against the side rail of the bed, sniffling quietly. Touched by her vulnerability, Mary leaned forward for a warm cuddle. However, Nadine flinched away and cried softly. Mary watched her with sympathy, unable to offer the comfort she desired.

  Mary joined Silanzene's group exercise at the aerobics studio. Later on, Silanzene sent them home, accompanied by a couple of motivations to keep them going. Silanzene playfully knocked Mary down to the floor and teased her for being soft.

"My aunt is a soft-hearted cook, not a soldier," Mary said defensively but in jest. Silanzene laughed and extended her hand to help Mary up. In return, Mary playfully jumped on Silanzene, causing both of them to fall to the floor. They shared a hearty laugh.

"She barely sleeps at night," Mary said, her expression turning sad.

"Mm-hmm. That's one of the symptoms," Silanzene replied, fixing her gaze on the ceiling.

"What other symptoms should I know?" Mary asked curiously.

Silanzene looked at her and smiled. "I'll train you." Mary expressed her gratitude with a sweet but faint smile.

"Symptoms of ASD can manifest early or late. Some appear at the age of 12, while others show signs before 5," Silanzene explained.

"It's inherent, right?" Mary inquired.

"Yes, it is," Silanzene confirmed. She sat up and continued, "Whenever I meet these beautiful children, I imagine the pain they go through, and I tell myself it is never God's will for these angels to struggle. The devil wants to take away the joy of several families and children."

"But some families have accepted the struggle," Mary sighed, sitting up as well.

"Love and accept Nadine for who she is, but don't accept the pain she goes through. If I put duct tape over your mouth for less than a minute, you'd go crazy. Nadine is non-verbal, and the only way she can express herself is by hurting herself. So, why would you want to accept the pain that angel feels?" Silanzene explained.

"I don't know what to do. Auntie told me her family did all they could until they lost hope. So, what can an unprofessional caregiver like me do to take away her pain?" Mary asked, feeling helpless.

"You'll know when you step into her own world," Silanzene replied.

"How can I do that?" Mary furrowed her eyebrows.