Two

A group exercise led by Silanzene, a tall and robust woman, in an aerobics studio was immediately interrupted as soon as Mary's face showed at the entrance. Defeated by the hundreds of eyes falling on her, she approached Silanzene timidly. Silanzene wrapped her in a hug, both happy to see each other.

  "Fay was right after all, you're taller. What was Sherry feeding you?" They both laughed.

  "You’re a fitness coach now?" Mary asked.

  "Hmm-mm, I'm an Occupational Therapist," Silanzene replied, turning around. "I’m coaching a fitness class for my clients having a hard time after an accident."

  "Occupa-tional thera-pist?" Mary stressed, pulling a silly face. She clearly didn't understand.

  "Oh, silly you," Silanzene smiled as they both walked. "Occupational Therapist, OTs for short, are healthcare professionals who work with people of all ages with various health issues. We help them find ways to do daily activities that they need to and we also provide help in training caregivers, just like you." Silanzene's hand squeezed Mary's shoulder.

  "Oh wow, you’re no more a child psychologist?" Mary asked.

  "That’s not happening. Now you stay here while I go change," Silanzene said as she walked away. One of her clients shouted, "Can I have her?"

  "She's born again; you ought to have Jesus first!" Silanzene said with a straight face, and she disappeared around the corner of the studio, followed by the low but ringing laughter of her clients. Mary stood there, slightly embarrassed.

Silanzene drove carefully in her residential neighborhood, avoiding the children playing on the street. What was supposed to be quiet and tranquil was frustrated by the noise of the energetic children. Pulling into the parking lot, Silanzene frowned. "They all have backyards but chose the street." She got out of the car, followed by Mary who looked around.

  "I knocked one down," Silanzene said, facing Mary.

  "Jesus! Did he survive?" Mary exclaimed.

  "Yes. If he had died, I'd have raised him up and killed him myself," Silanzene said with a straight face, but Mary couldn't help but laugh.

  "That kid got my adrenaline rushing. I never knew my heart could race like that," Silanzene said, locking her car. They both walked into a spacious and clean living room. It had nice blue walls with picture frames hung neatly, like a bunch of trophies. There was an outdated wooden bookshelf at the end of the room, with a small vase and an artificial flower on it, along with an open book.

  "Ya, you must be rich now!" Mary commented.

  "Silly you, is it because of the house?" Silanzene replied.

  "I thought you'd never leave Kebbi," Mary said, changing the subject. Her excited eyes scrutinized the frames on the wall. The frames depicted Silanzene's life, from the time she was married to the time she had her son. Next to that was a frame of her grown-up son grinning beside a lady with a baby in her arms.

  "Wow, you're a grandma! He's cute. What's his name?" Mary asked.
  "Wisdom," Silanzene smiled before changing the subject. "I thought I wouldn't leave Kebbi either. It was nice being home, but the Autism Awareness didn't take long." Mary's expression changed, and Silanzene observed but didn't push it.

  "My client is autistic," Mary finally spoke. "I have no idea about it or whatsoever."

  "Care for some kuli-kuli and kunu aya?" Silanzene asked.

  "Sure, it's been a while..." Mary followed her to the kitchen. "Sherry ate some of what you got, and she prayed to marry from Zuru." There was laughter in her voice. She sat down and watched Silanzene move to the fridge.