Eight

“Feliz Navidad,
      Lalala, lalala.
      Feliz Navidad,
      Nanana, nanana.
      Feliz Navidad,
      Prospero Ano y felicidad.”

  Fay dried the plates, setting them on the dish rack as she swayed her hips sideways to the rhythm of her song.

       “Feliz Navidad,
        Lalala, lalala.
        Feliz Navidad,
        Nanana, nanana.
        Feliz Navidad,
        Prospero Ano y felicidad.”

  Mary walked into the kitchen with Nadine clinging next to her. Fay didn't notice them at the door, obviously lost in the merry mood. Mary joined in the song. Fay spun around, and her smile widened as she listened to Mary sing:

        “I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas.
         I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas,
         from the bottom of my heart.”

  And together they sang:

          “Feliz Navidad,
           Lalala, lalala.
           Feliz Navidad,
           Nanana, nanana.
           Feliz Navidad,
           Prospero Ano y felicidad.”

Fay spun Mary around, leading her in simple dance steps. Nadine wasn't left out either as Fay reached for her hand, swaying her to the rhythm of the song. Nadine gracefully joined in, forming a little circle of dancers and swinging her legs to match the beat.

Morgan and Kachi walked in, carrying Christmas decorations. Kachi placed the miniature Christmas tree on the windowsill and joined the impromptu party. Morgan dumped the basket of tinsels and baubles, intending to make his way to the door, but Fay quickly caught his hand, preventing his escape from the festive gathering. She playfully swung his arms like a child, encouraging him to join in.

Morgan warned over the loud music, "We better get back to work." However, he couldn't resist the infectious rhythm and with each verse, his feet slipped further and further as he danced along. Forgetting his formal demeanor, Morgan's deep voice joined in the song, showcasing some impressive dance moves.

Their joyful celebration was momentarily interrupted when Cheta pushed open the kitchen door. His eyes widened at the sight of the Christmas party. But before he could dampen the festive spirit with his negativity, Fay swiftly shoved a cookie into his mouth and swayed him to the rhythm of the song. Overwhelmed by the sudden change of atmosphere, Cheta began to move his long legs, collaborating with Morgan's steps, and soon they took over the dance floor. The other dancers paused to watch their impressive moves, clapping and cheering in rhythm, which further encouraged Cheta and Morgan to show off their skills.

Once again, their party was interrupted, this time by Madam Ann. The dancers stopped, the clapping and cheering ceased, and the room fell silent. Madam Ann was visibly unimpressed by Cheta's presence at the party. She stared at him, seemingly embarrassed by his involvement.

"It's just Christmas Eve. What will you all do tomorrow? Bring down my house, huh?" Madam Ann chastised. "I'll pretend I didn't see all of you neglecting your work to turn my house into a disco hall."

Fay's face displayed determination as she spoke up, her lips parting, "Despite our feelings, we have always been professional. Everyone in this house has been through a lot. Please, ma'am, just for an hour, can we be less formal?" Before Madam Ann could respond, Cheta took hold of his mother's arms, mirroring what Fay had done to him, and his deep voice filled the room as he sang "Feliz Navidad" as though it were a love song. Madam Ann stared at him, reminiscent of the way she must have looked at his father long ago. The entire household watched, waiting to see Madam Ann's reaction, hoping it was safe to resume the song. Lost in the moment, Madam Ann swayed her hips sideways, and others joined in the singing and dancing, filling the room with joy.