Five

One could begin with the unnecessary rush of adrenaline or the anxiety that gripped one's soul. The world is vast, yet so small that finding a space of rest and freedom seems impossible. The heart races, drowning out the soothing voices of others with its pounding beats. While the world may observe and study this phenomenon, no one truly comprehends the weight of feeling different.

Nadine was aware that she was trapped in a different world, far removed from the one she walked upon. Standing at the entrance of her room, which was left open, she lifted her heels, resting on her toes. Slowly, she attempted to step out of the room, but hesitated. There was a force holding her back—an invisible force created by her mother and brother.

  Nadine was still contemplating whether to fight against the force or accept it when Mary approached her. Mary stooped down to Nadine's height and smiled. "Do you want to go outside? I can take you if you'd like," she offered.

"She doesn't go out," Cheta's voice popped out from his room, and then he quickly retreated back inside.

"Why?" Mary asked, but the door remained shut. "The sun has already set, and I want to spend time with her," she protested.

Cheta scoffed from his room, "Don't you get it? Why force her to be normal when she can't be normal?"

"Did you make that life decision for her?" Mary grew angry. "What happens when she grows older? There are many autistic people out there living freely as individuals. Nadine is not a prisoner!"

Cheta swung the door open, popping his head out once again. "Now listen, you twit!" he said, almost raging. "We're protecting her from the world. Who do you think will accept her as she is? If she interacts with 'normal' people, she'll never be the same. I'll protect her right here, in her own world."

"It takes someone who isn't drowning to save someone who is drowning," Mary retorted, and her statement brought Cheta out of his room. He gently pushed Nadine back into her room and closed the door, probably trying to keep her away from any potential violence. Cheta's glare sent a chill down Mary's spine, making her blood quicken along with her steps. With her back pressed against the wall, she had nowhere else to go. As Cheta's breath met hers, her heart raced. Jesus! He tilted her chin with his finger and made her look into the fire in his eyes. He cupped her chin, his fingers digging deeply into her cheeks. Her neck vein protruded, and she flinched in pain. She couldn't scream for help. She grabbed his hand, trying to push it off, but she was no match. What could have been the end for her was interrupted by Red's meows. Cheta let her go, and she dropped to the floor, gasping for breath. He moved away from her, cradling his cat in his arms. He headed for his room, but Mary's voice stopped him. Her nerves!

"One instruction given to me was to keep my distance," she said, standing up.

However, she didn't move any closer, her nerves confusing him. "I've never seen you go outside or have friends come by," she continued.

"Maybe because outside is dark, and I can't see in the dark," he glared.

"I assume you mean you need light, then."

"There's no light anywhere."

"Jesus is the only light..."

"Hey, you know what!" Cheta grew angry. "Optimists see an optimistic world, pessimists see a pessimistic world. If you were in my world right now, you would speak the same language as I do," he sighed deeply. "If I were you, I would stick to the instructions," he warned, slamming the door with the cat inside, and stormed out of the house.

  The thoughts of their conversation lingered as Cheta walked down the street, trying to shake off whatever effect Mary had on his mind. Anger and pain coursed through him as he spotted someone familiar entering a mall. Cheta hurried after him, pushing people aside. Finally, with no more obstructions, he couldn't bring himself to face the man; instead, the man continued walking.