Ten

The harmattan chill washed over Kachi, causing her to shiver not only from the cold but also from the pain that crippled her soul. Standing alone in the shadow, the absence of her teacher and friend sent waves of agony trembling through her entire being. Even the trench coat she wore couldn't shield her from the misery that engulfed her. Her shimmering eyes fixated on the mansion, while the clinking noises of spoons clattering against plates filled the awkward silence in front of her.

Kachi shuffled into the building, her gaze fixed on the dining room where Cheta and Madam Ann sat at opposite ends of the table. Their spoons moved through their food, but they couldn't bring themselves to eat a single grain. Kachi made her way to the kitchen. Fay and Morgan fell silent as soon as she walked in, though she paid little attention to their conversation. She hung her coat on the peg, where Mary's jacket used to hang. The mere thought of it added to her pain. Placing her food on the table, she sensed their eyes following her, but she didn't care. Taking a seat, she slumped into the chair.

"Where were you, young lady?" Fay reprimanded.

"Outside," Kachi replied, her eyes fixed on her food.

"It's late."

"I didn't leave the gate, ma'am." Kachi stirred her spoon, refusing to eat.

"I don't like you eating late."

"But you served them late." Kachi finally brought the spoon to her mouth.

"You know the story," Fay shook her head, her face filled with pain. "They refused to touch their food." Fay watched Kachi chew her food as if it were poison.

"I don't like Mary..." Morgan interjected, drawing attention to himself, "...and I knew for sure she was going to leave like the others did, but I didn't anticipate the emotional strain it would cause for everyone."

Kachi glared at him. "I guess you're happy then? Well, Sir, Mary wasn't like the others. She was God-sent, something you could never achieve in your forty-four years on earth!"

"Onyekachi!" Fay was stunned, and even Morgan's face showed shock. "Oh, for Christ's sake, if you don't respect him for anything else, at least respect his age!"

Tapping her spoon against her plate, Kachi pushed it aside. "He didn't respect himself either."

"Apologize to him now," Fay's eyes darkened with outrage.

"But..." Kachi protested, folding her arms and shooting a glare at Morgan.

"Apologize now!"

"I'm sorry, Sir. Morgan." She struggled with the words.

"I know you loved Mary very much, and her absence is causing you grief, but be mindful of your words when you're angry. Remember what anger did to Moses, don't you?" Kachi could only stare at her food as her eyes started to fill with tears. "All you seem capable of is condemning me, while all Mary did was revive me," she muttered under her breath. Fay's stare softened, but she remained silent. The room fell back into silence for a moment, until a sharp scream echoed through the house, sending them racing out of the kitchen.

  Rocking herself in the chair, Nadine's face turned swollen and red. Beads of sweat gathered on her forehead, dripping down to her eyelids. Her fingers gently ran through her rag doll's hair. Palpitations of her heart and grunting noises filled the room. Madam Ann knelt down to Nadine's height, gently stroking the back of her head, "Hey, Honey," she called, searching Nadine's eyes, but they were hidden behind the perspiration. "What's bothering my little angel? Is it something you ate?" She tried to soothe her, but Nadine jumped out of her chair, flinging it away as her chest began to heave up and down.