Nine

The midday sun blazed outside, casting warm, soft light through the glazed windows and doors. The play of sunlight created a beautiful ambiance in the room, illuminating it and filling it with warmth.

Mary stood at the front door, holding Nadine's hand tightly. She paused for a moment, contemplating the significance of stepping into the sun. She knew that this step marked a turning point in both her and Nadine's lives. Taking a deep breath, she gently pulled Nadine beside her, and together they crossed the threshold. Their fingers remained interlocked, symbolizing their unity. Mary watched as the intense sun reflected off Nadine's face, causing perspiration to form. She felt her own hands tremble with anticipation and tightened their grip, hoping to alleviate her inner turmoil. However, Nadine abruptly pulled her hand away, covering her face and trembling vigorously before letting out a scream.

The commotion drew the attention of the household, who were shocked to see Nadine outside. Madam Ann swiftly shielded her from the sun, while Cheta quickly lifted her onto his shoulder and rushed back inside. Madam Ann followed angrily, with Mary pleading for her to listen.

"I told you to stick to your job and nothing else!" Madam Ann thundered, her eyes bloodshot and filled with fury. "She will never be cured! Stop pushing it!"

"It's not for you to decide!" Mary retorted, her anger trembling within her. "You've locked her up like a dog and provided no support. If anyone is hindering Nadine's chance of a normal life, it's you, Madam Ann!" Madam Ann's shock was accompanied by a slap across Mary's face.

"You're fired. Leave my house this instant," Madam Ann ordered in a low, trembling tone.

  Sniffling, Mary hastily shoved her belongings into her bag. In a fit of rage, Fay walked into the room.

"You have disappointed me! Have you forgotten that I don't have a dime to take care of you? You should have clung to your job," Fay exclaimed.

"You don't have to worry. God is in control," Mary replied calmly.

"You're so blind and stupid that you don't realize how harsh the world out there is. You'll be soaked in the rain and covered in mud for the rest of your life if you don't wake up to reality," Fay retorted.

"I'm sorry. You worry too much, and it's not good for you," Mary said, zipping up her bag while concealing her own anger.

"Yes, I agree. I worry excessively. I know I worry about tomorrow, even though the Bible says we shouldn't. I am this way because life hasn't been fair. Don't judge me too soon, Mary," Fay said tearfully as she walked past Kachi, who had just entered the room. Kachi watched as Mary unzipped her backpack and stuffed her books inside. Kachi's trembling hands helped, carelessly shoving the books into the backpack. Mary tried to stop her, but Kachi yelled at her.

"You should have begged! You should have crawled and begged her for another chance!" Kachi's yelling turned into sobs. "I'll just go back to my old self." Mary embraced her in a hug, and they both cried.

"You won't go back to your old self," Mary assured her.

"How can I hold on without you here?" Kachi asked.

"I was never the reason for your strength, Kachi. It is the Holy Spirit," Mary replied.

Mary placed her bags in front of Nadine's room and took a deep breath before entering. Nadine lay on the bed, lost in her thoughts. Mary looked at her and sat beside her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't beg to stay and be by your side. I'm sorry we have to be apart for a while," Mary sobbed. Tears streamed down her face as Nadine lifted herself from the bed, reached her hands to Mary's face, and wiped her tears. Nadine's tender touch caused more tears to flow. She offered Mary a fluffy teddy bear, and Mary pulled her into a hug. Cheta witnessed the exchange from the slightly ajar door. The revelation struck him, and he swayed a little at the stairs, supporting himself against the railing.