Four

Dear Madam Ann,

  I regret to inform you that I am resigning from my position as your daughter's caregiver.

  I would be grateful if I could cease working immediately. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this sudden news may cause.

  Thank you for the time I had with your daughter. She is that mighty prophecy I can't handle.

  Yours sincerely,
  Mary.

  Mary clutched the resignation letter tightly as she stepped out of her room. The overwhelming sadness once again invaded her heart, sneaking in through her thoughts and permeating the depths of her soul. She realized that she had allowed the song of sadness, imperfection, and fear to drown out the song of the Spirit in her heart. She had forgotten the wisdom of Proverbs 4:23, which urges one to guard their heart diligently. The devil had seized an opportunity and created a trap, making God's will seem impossible.
As Mary made her way towards Madam Ann's room with a slouched posture, she unexpectedly encountered Kachi, who greeted her with excitement. Kachi confessed that she had initially held negative feelings towards Mary. However, there was a presence about Mary that inspired her.

"I don't know how real alter egos are, but there's a part of me that I love," Kachi admitted. "It's that side of me that often lies dormant, but yesterday you awakened it." Kachi embraced Mary tightly, thanking her for not only being there for Nadine but also for herself. Mary watched as Kachi walked away, her kind yet powerful words piercing deep into her heart. A sense of heaviness washed over her, and she gazed into empty space, seemingly reconsidering her choices. Despite the emotions surging through her, she fought to maintain composure.

Collecting herself, Mary entered Madam Ann's room, only to find it empty. It seemed as if the room itself offered her another opportunity to reconsider her decision. As the door clicked shut, it brought Mary back to reality, her attention returning to the resignation letter clutched in her hand. She discreetly slid it under her apron before Madam Ann could notice. Apologizing profusely to Madam Ann, she promised to fulfill her duties properly before hurrying out of the room. Madam Ann stared at the closed door, her gaze filled with suspicion, clearly skeptical of Mary's motives.

  The sun had set, relinquishing its place to the dazzling light of the moon, accompanied by a myriad of stars. Mary found a spot on the lawn, a distance away from the garden, and her eyes sparkled as she gazed at the beautiful starry sky. Her gaze eventually fell upon the pamphlet stained with dried blood. She stared at it, as if reassuring herself that she was committed to staying until God's purpose was fulfilled.

"You always look at that paper," Kachi's voice came from behind.

Startled, Mary turned around and forced a smile. "I'm just amazed to see each one of them manifesting," she replied, and Kachi joined her, both of them beaming at the sky.

"Thank you, Kachi," Mary said, her smile faint but genuine.

"For what?" Kachi returned the gaze, her own smile radiant.

"For your support," Mary acknowledged, allowing a moment of silence to settle between them. "There's a desolate beauty here," she added, lifting her head and gesturing towards the garden.

"Yes, there is," Kachi agreed. "This used to be Nadine's playground."

"Nadine used to come out?" Mary was taken aback by the revelation. Kachi pulled her to her feet and they strolled towards the garden.

"Yes, she did, until that day..." Kachi hesitated, a sigh escaping her. Memories flooded her mind, and she surrendered to them. "I wasn't one for flowers, but I began to appreciate the flower farm once it withered away," she said, feigning a smile. "It was surrounded by Calla lilies, and the sweet scent of hibiscus filled the air."