Chapter 7

Samantha's face lightened up and she gladly followed him to the office. I wonder how their encounter is going to go. Kevin stood facing the picture window that looked over the city, carefully thinking about what he should say to her.

"Are you aware that you're taking measures that might bring my family to its doom?" He questioned.

"What do you mean?" She asked, taken aback by his words.

"The text that you sent last night. My wife saw it and gave me a whole questionnaire about who Samantha was and why was she sending me a text message in the middle of the night." He looked over to her, a grim expression painted on his face.

"I did not mean to –"

"But you never do, Samantha. You never do. Do you understand how important my family is to me? You probably don't, as you have no family of your own." His harsh words thrust through her heart like an arrow, and it felt as if it was being jabbed deeper the more he spoke "Think twice before doing something as irrational as texting me after midnight. The whole situation is sketchy, and you arised my wife's suspicion.". Samantha stood facing Kevin with pure shock, and her quizzical expression turned to a despondent one the more she let his words sink in. Her hands started trembling, so she hid them behind her back as not to seem too fragile or too weak-hearted.

"Does all the time that we spent together mean nothing to you? You're still clutching to your family as if it's the only thing that you care about." She tried as hard as she could to sound assertive, but her desperate words failed her.

"It is. You need to fathom the concept of family before spitting out nonsense, Samantha. You really need to get over this. You HAVE to get over your obsession with me and my family. What happened between us was nothing but casual sex, a mere affair. Detach yourself from me. Find somebody who truly loves you. You're a great person, and I apologize if I made you believe that there was something going on between the both of us." Kevin's face remained rigid as he said those words to Samantha. He felt the need to set boundaries before the situation escalated.

"Are you serious? Are you saying there was no spark between us?" Samantha's eyes filled with tears uncontrollably.

"There was no spark. It was simply a candle's wick burning out until it eventually faded, nothing more, nothing less. I wish for our relationship to remain purely professional, Samantha. I hope you understand, and I really hope you find someone who loves you for who you truly are."

This was mostly entertaining, almost comical. It was a wise decision to let action take its course instead of acting on it. This man was worthy of being one of my disciples. A woman's heart for him was no different than a twig that ought to be broken, with no second thoughts or the least bit of hesitation. Ethan thought that it was almost thrilling watching Samantha going through stages of grief in the span of 2 minutes, standing there motionless, with a hundred thoughts and sensations of grief taking over her.

"You'll regret this, Kevin." All of a sudden, her expression turned from despondence to pure fury. She was no longer sad, but at that moment Ethan knew that she was going to take strict measures to make this man regret what he has done to her.

"Don't do something you'll regret later, Samantha. Go back to work, it'll distract you enough from dwelling on remnants of a love that never existed." At this point, Kevin was taunting her on purpose, in a failed attempt to erase her hyperfixation on him.

"Don't worry, I will not regret a thing. I'm quitting, I hope you find another qualified supervisor that will satisfy your animalistic needs, asshole." Samantha threw her badge aggressively on the floor, rushed out of the office and slammed the door. That's my cue. At this point, Ethan was determined to bring her to her demise. Go to his house. As usual, Samantha was fully compliant. She rushed out of the building and stopped the first cab that she found.

"21, Bourbon street please." She commanded the driver as she was trying to fight the tears falling unstoppably.

"On it. Ma'am, are you alright?" The driver asked, probably planning on saying words of comfort that might ease her troubled mind

"I'm sorry, but I do not have time for idle chitchat. I'd appreciate it if you hurry it up a little"

"As you like."

The ride to Kevin's house was 5-minutes long, but it felt like eternity, as anxiety washed over her, while she speculated Kevin's spouse's reaction to the news that was about to befall her. At a certain moment of time, Samantha felt reluctant to be a home wrecker, but Ethan did not allow it to happen. You need to avenge your pride, Samantha. Go for it, it's the right thing to do. What Samantha was not aware of at that moment, is that Kevin's spouse was an attorney, therefore things will absolutely go south with a bit of enticement from the devil's part. This is going to be amusing, absolutely diabolical, my first and foremost masterpiece so far.

The cab stopped right in front of Kevin's villa, and as Samantha stepped out of the car, she started getting the jitters. Ring the bell. Her hands trembled as she reached out for the bell and anticipated the look on the woman's face when she faced her. As she was preparing herself for the head-to-head brawl she was heading towards, the door opened, and Samantha was faced by Florence, Kevin's wife. Florence was a conventionally beautiful woman. She had a slender figure, blonde curly hair, heart-shaped lips, a pointy nose and green orbs that stared right into Samantha's soul. Samantha was lost for words for a few seconds, but the moment she decided to open her mouth, Florence took her by surprise with an unexpected question:" You're Samantha, aren't you?". Samantha was at a loss for words, but she tried as best as she could to reply to her without stuttering.

"How...how did you know?" She asked.

"I've seen the disgusting pictures Kevin had on his phone, but I assumed you were just a hooker, since this is the probably the billionth time he has slept with someone else. Turns out you had an entire affair, am I right?" Florence was so authoritative that she had Samantha shaking in her boots. "Why are you here? Are you here to unveil the secret relationship you've had with my husband?"

"I... I thought you might need to know. I was not aware he was a married man." Samantha tried to avoid eye contact with Florence that she was able to see through her lies.

"What about the ring on his finger? Did you think it was an ornament?" Florence asked condescendingly.

"I-"

"Let's stop beating around the bush. What do you want from me? Are you seeking revenge? Do you want me to leave him so you could enjoy his company without the piercing feeling of guilt that you're going through? After all, I do not think that you're here to try to amend or seek redemption." She asked her in a patronizing way.

"I'm sorry." That was all Samantha was able to say. As she tried to formulate her words, Florence slapped her so hard that she almost lost her balance. You deserve this.

"So, who are you, exactly? Talk, I don't have all day."

"I... I used to work for him." Samantha answered every question she was asked as she was being interrogated by Florence.

"I see." Ethan was not going to let Samantha's actions slide. To him, she was not apt for forgiveness. sue her. "Go home. You'll regret doing this, Samantha." Florence slammed the door as Samantha stood there speechless. She was not aware of the catastrophe that was about to befall her, so she went back to her house, carrying her tail between her legs, thinking that the conversation she just had did not go as planned and that Florence had no problem having her husband cheat on her with another woman.