Chapter 10

In a blink of an eye, Ethan found himself in Hell again. When he got there, Lucifer was taking a stroll alongside the spirits wandering haphazardly. The sight was hilarious that he laughed out loud.

"Could you stick to your plan and stay away from me?" Lucifer growled, growing irritated.

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm not here for a tea party with you, Lucifer. Things are a bit tedious down there." Ethan stated.

"I've always known your plan was doomed to fail miserably, Ethan. However, I have not expected the failure to be timely. How entertaining." He snickered, trying to provoke him.

"Sorry to break the news for you buddy, but the first part of the plan went smoothly. I see you're dying to hear the details, Luce." He could tell that he was visibly opposed to the new nickname.

"If you ever call me that again you'll wind up dead. Also I'm not interested in bedtime stories. I've already seen what happened. Is that all you could do?" He asked, with a cheeky expression on his face.

"Do I sense jealousy?" Ethan asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"Jealousy? You're still an amateur, Ethan. I have always been the ruler of Hell. I practically created what is known as a sin, my guy, what you're doing is nothing but an embranchment of my creation." He declared, seemingly scornful.

"And where has that gotten you so far?"

"This is not the end, Ethan. You're defying the laws of the universe, and it will not go unpunished." He proclaimed.

"Azrael called me the human of the prophecy. Is that not enough proof for you?" The devil asked rhetorically.

"Every prophecy is a double-edged sword. There are most definitely two sides of the prophecy, and you know it." He said slyly.

"And what would that other side be, smartass?" Ethan scoffed.

"Sorry dude, my powers do not involve foreseeing the future. Have you tried asking God?" He joked.

"Talking to you is a pain, Lucifer. No wonder you wound up in this god-forsaken position. I'll leave you to it, have fun." Ethan turned around.

"Don't you see it, Ethan?" He heard his voice echoing through Hell.

"See what, now?" Ethan turned around to face him.

"Try to analyze these people that you're trying to destroy. Doesn't looking at them feel like looking at a mirror?" He inquired mockingly.

"You're crossing a line, Lucifer."

"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the truth . First off, Samantha is no different than you are. You may think you're different from her as you're well aware of her ostentatious behavior, but that does not differentiate you from her or from the regular dogmatic individuals that you despise. The only difference is that each one of you practices a different kind of dogmatism. To be more specific, the both of you have veiled insecurities. Not to mention the family abuse that she endured, just like-" Before he could finished himself, Ethan sped towards him and held him by the throat.

"Say that again and you're dead!" He yelled.

"Too bad, Ethan. Angels are immortal. Now go back to earth, I hope you get lost there and never come back." The devil's nostrils were flaring as he eyed Lucifer while trying to choke him to death, but it was futile. He was, indeed, immortal, or at least as far as he has known. Eventually Ethan let him go and headed towards earth, baring his teeth, completely enraged by Lucifer's audacity to compare him to these wretched humans.

                                                      •─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Ethan let out an exhale as he returned back to earth, only to end up witnessing Chris walking to and fro in his room, still panicking over a text message. Human fears and anxieties can be triggered over something extremely miniscule, and it has never made sense to him. He could not deny that at some point in his life, he has experienced those raving emotions, until he eventually realized the vanity of life. There was nothing worth fretting over. After all, he wound up dead, and he knew that nobody cared enough for him to even remember his name. He simply sank into oblivion, along with all those frivolous fears and meaningless anxieties.

A few moments later, Chris' phone beeped, and his hand reached out to it, shaking, afraid of what he might have received. Ultimately, Fred replied to his text: "Sure, what's up?". Chris was having a whole crisis over what to say next. He has not met a single soul for months, and he was not ready to do so now. Ask him to meet up with you. Hot flashes spread all over his body, and he felt restless. He curled up in a ball on the edge of his bed, his fingers trembling as he typed :"Can we meet up?", then, he immediately tossed the phone away, as if distancing himself from that device would ease up his mind a little bit.

Being a social outcast has taken its toll on him, and being isolated for months has made the slightest interactions feel as if he's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. The only time he has ever uttered a few words was when his mother asked him if he wanted to have lunch or dinner, and even so, his brief replies felt as heavy, as if he exerted a great effort in saying "Yes" or "No", that sometimes he would just nod or shake his head instead. He was a lone wolf, but not in the sense that he could rely on himself during the most critical situations, but rather in the sense that he could not bear existing within the same range as another human being.

A grim expression was almost tattooed on his face, for he hasn't been able to smile for a long time. He walked up to the mirror hung on the wall, and looked at his reflection in disquiet How was he ever going to face Fred with such wistful traits? Foolishly enough, he tried stretching his cheeks, trying to take a peek at what he would look like if a smile was painted on his face. He felt hideous, almost disfigured, seeing how phony the expression on his face looked like.

Ethan could not disagree with Chris, he did, indeed, look quite ugly. It was not only his facial traits that has made him an eyesore, but it was the act that he was planning to put on once he meets up with Fred. Only at that moment that Ethan has realized that the strength he has been displaying in the past was nothing than a masquerade to veil his insecurities and his deeply rooted sense of inferiority. What a jackass. He did not even have the decency to show the amount of remorse gripping his soul and depriving him from the scarcest drop of serenity, for years.

A few moments have passed, and Chris' phone beeped again.

Fred:

"Sure thing, I'm having my lunch break in 30 minutes. Wanna meet up at Fairy's coffee shop?"

Chris

"I'll be there, thanks."

Chris was calculating how much time it would take him to get fully ready, and he could not waste those thirty minutes thinking about what response he would get from Fred. He took a quick shower and got dressed up, then he headed towards the door. As he was unlocking the knob, his mother asked him, almost astonished at the sight of him heading outside, fully dressed: "Where are you going?"

"To meet up with an old friend. Is there a problem?" His eyes wandered away from his mother, fully knowing that she had a wide grin on her face, which he deemed vexatious, for he knew it would not last for long.

"No, not at all! Have fun!" She waved at him goodbye, and as he walked out, she followed suit, standing by the entrance, staring at him with a longing gaze, delighted with her son's sudden change of heart.

                                                                        •─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•