Chapter 8

As Samantha set foot into her home, her first instinct was to pour a glass of wine and drink the pain away. She gulped the first glass, enjoying that burning sensation in her throat, but it was not enough. She needed to burn the hurt away, so she poured herself glass after another, until the bottle was empty. She walked over to her room, and sat on her desk, writing in her journal. Ethan had no idea how was she able to formulate ideas and write in that morbid state, but he was curious about how things would go from there, as he ignited the first flare that would burn her life down. She stared at the ceiling blankly for a while, while tears streamed down her face, and then she proceeded to write:

"Mary gulped gallons of water

Hoping they turn into wine

But the holy water remained as it is

And she never got to stabilize her troubled mind

She mourned the loss of her beloved son

She never got to erase the image of his crucifixion

She kept on chugging waters

It turned into a destructive addiction

Her attempts at fusing with her son were vain

And she never got a closure

She craved sin, craved salvation

Unable to keep her composure

Years and years have passed

And Mary laid her trials off

Then came the dormition of the blessed

But even down the grave you can still feel her violent love"

Ethan never took her for the religious type, but there she was, his fraudulent Mary, sitting on her chair, her head leaning on the desk, her fingers clutching her pen and forging her melancholy into a beautiful poem, completely unaware of the disaster that might come crashing down on her anytime now. This might be your last ever poem, my dear Mary. He watched her drowsy self struggling to separate itself from the ache she felt as her heart throbbed inside her chest everytime she replayed her encounter with Florence in her head.

It wasn't very long until she heard the bell ring. "Who would visit me at this time of the day? It must be Kevin. I'm ready for whatever he's about to say to me." She thought to herself. She struggled to stand up from her desk, as if she was carrying a heavy weight on her shoulders, and stumbled towards the door. When she opened the door, she was surprised to find two police officers standing there, who cuffed her hand while she was barely able to resist.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you." The police officer said to her.

"What? What is... What...What's going on?" Samantha was still vertiginous under the influence of the alcohol that she had just consumed, so she struggled to utter her words properly.

"You are under arrest for adultery." These words were enough to shock Samantha, to the point that she started laughing hysterically as she was dragged to the police car. "Is that what she meant by you'll regret this ? What a turn of events."

The car ride to the police station was silent, as Samantha's eyes wandered across each street that they passed, thinking of how things ended up to be this dire. In fact, instead of feeling guilt, or regret, she has never felt freer, even though her hands were cuffed and her mere presence was monitored by police officers. Humans' conception of freedom can be quite peculiar, and it differs from one person to another. As the saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure". In the officers' eyes, the woman's grin that slowly appeared and fadeed away each time she looked at her cuffed hands was a sign of insanity, but Ethan somehow fancied her twisted train of thoughts. 

As most convicts would waste their time worrying about the time they were going to spend behind the bars, this woman was on cloud nine, now that Kevin was most likely on the same boat as she was. Her vengeful spirit has finally overrun her emotional wreck of a spirit. She was finally freed. Ethan had a feeling his influence was unnecessary at that point, as Samantha has finally reached the point of no return. She was finally in control, bringing doom upon her life with her own hands. It was such a pretty sight to him.

When the car finally reached the police station, Samantha was taken immediately to the interrogation room. She sat on the chair, all by herself, for three minutes that felt like an eternity. When the interrogators finally came in, Ethan instantly knew what the next chain of events would be. Admit to it. Take him down along with you.

"Hello. This is James and Trevor, and we are here to question you about a few details concerning your arrest. Mrs. Samantha Smith, you are under arrest for adultery. Do you deny engaging in an affair with Mr. Kevin Brown?" The interrogator inquired. Samantha's eyes wandered across the room for a few seconds. The dim light added quite the ominous atmosphere to this interrogation. She kept looking around, as if she was familiarizing herself with the feeling of abandonment, loneliness and seclusion that she was about to face behind the bars.

"Mrs. Samantha? Can you please answer the question?" Answer them. Admit to it, now.

"I do not deny it. I have all the proof that you need on my phone." She finally announced, which took the interrogators by surprise, as they were not expecting her to be compliant. "My phone is in my pocket. May I show you the evidence?"

"You ... may." The man stammered, taken aback.

Samantha pulled out her phone and showed the men in front of her every erotic message, every picture involving her and Kevin, without an ounce of shame.

"To be quite honest with you, Mrs. Samantha, we did not expect the interrogation to go this smoothly. You haven't even demanded your Miranda rights. May I ask the reason why? Why go to such lengths that would turn your life upside down?" Asked the interrogator, furrowing his eyebrows, puzzled.

"Who knows? For all that I know, I might be insane. Am I the bad guy for admitting to my mistake, or am I the good guy for bringing this to light, allowing Mrs. Florence to see how disingenuous her husband is? I'd like to give myself the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, living in denial, and not acknowledging your wrongs would be in your favor. I finally feel at peace, not having to hide in the shadows, waiting for him to run away with me. Oh, how foolish I was." She sighed heavily, slumping her shoulders in despair. "May I ask what is going to happen to me?"

"Well, adultery falls under the category of class 2 misdemeanor, which will result in up to two months in jail. You may also-"

"May I asked if this class 2 something is applicable to Kevin as well? Is he going to spend time in jail?" She interrupted them, with a flat, monotone voice.

"Naturally, yes." Trevor answered calmly.

"That is all I needed to know. Thank you." She replied, her eyes gleaming as she felt a strong sense of complacency.

"You're... welcome. I guess."

                                                                                       •─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

The devil's first journey was over successfully. He felt an intense sensation of gloating as he was a hundred percent confident that Samantha wouldn't last three days in jail. Her transition from a glamorous lifestyle to a life of confinement would most definitely be as harsh as a cultural shock. He has sworn that he would thrive on his enemies' downfall as he kept on pursuing this path of pure wickedness.         

Author's note: Next chapter is coming out pretty soon, stay tuned!