Chapter 11

Author's note: This chapter is a tad bit longer than the previous ones as it portrays Fred's encounter with Chris, however, in the next 2-3 chapters, I'll be introducing a new major character who will play a part in determining Ethan's fate, so stay tuned!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris was sitting all alone in the cafe sipping his coffee, waiting for Fred for what felt like an eternity. To be fair, he arrived five minutes earlier than what they agreed upon. He eventually put on his headphones, took out his cigarette pack and started smoking, hoping that it would distract him from the horde of people surrounding him. Ethan had a gut feeling that this mission would be unbearable, but never has he thought that this man's life was THIS tedious. The advantageous part about it is that the former bully had too many weak points; therefore, the moment the devil strikes, he'd be utterly defeated. He wouldn't even put up a fight; he was too fragile.

"Long time no see, Chris." Chris did not hear Fred's voice over the deafening music he was listening to, but he felt somebody's hand being placed on his shoulder, and he immediately turned around, taking off his headphones. He was almost flabbergasted seeing Fred after such a long time, looking like a functioning adult, wearing a fancy suit and carrying a briefcase in his hand.

"Fred! H-hi. Sorry, you took me by surprise for a second." Chris did not know what to do for a second. He felt like a handshake would be too formal, and a hug would be too intimate. "If only there was another way to greet people." He thought to himself. Eventually, he extended his hand awkwardly, settling for a handshake. "How is it going?"

"I should be the one taken by surprise, your text sounded pretty serious. I'm doing good, you?" Fred grabbed a chair a sat facing Chris. Chris felt dreadfully intimidated by Fred's presence, as he radiated the aura of a man who has it all figured out. He looked at him wistfully, not sure how to answer his question without sounding pathetic.

"I'm good too. I'm sorry if my text was too serious, I just-" Tell him. Apologize, be vulnerable, let your guard down. For a second, Chris was almost petrified, not knowing how to formulate the words he wanted to utter, but eventually, he decided that the fact that Fred did not reject his invitation from the get go was an act of kindness, and he should return the favor by being genuine. "I know it sounds... strange, since many years have passed. I should've done this sooner, to be fair, but I didn't have the courage to. I wanted to apologize."

"Apologize? I mean...thank you, I guess. I reckon life hasn't been easy on you, since you still remember what happened after all these years." That was it. That was the start of the next chain of events. Reject his apology. "However, I am not the one you should apologize to, Chris. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your apology. After all, we've been sort of close friends for a short while, but I am not the one who deserves the apology." Ethan did not expect the rejection to turn out to be this compassionate. He was expecting Fred to be spiteful, resentful. Unlikely, this guy is a wuss.

"I'm sorry, I-" Chris was at a loss for words. He was not expecting Fred's reply to be such a slap in the face. He wanted to break from the cycle of endless agony and stop wallowing in self-pity each day, but instead of breaking free, he felt even more caged now upon hearing Fred's words.

"It's alright buddy, don't make such a big deal out of it. I can't believe you still remember what happened after all these years." Fred exclaimed. "Are you alright?"

Chris was not alright. Upon hearing the question, he felt bile rising up in his throat, and he held back the tears that were about to trickle down his face. "Don't cry, god damn it. Don't cry." He thought to himself. He pressed a fist against his chest, hoping to push back all the sorrow that was stifling him. He felt his heart almost bursting out of his ribcage, and he fell silent, his mind wandering to anywhere but the present, attempting to flee the urge to sob. Cry. Don't hold back. His chin started trembling, and his shoulders started quacking, as a few tears made their way out and fell down his cheeks.