Onew - Self-care day

Onew leaned back in his chair and sighed. Today was his self-care day, and he wanted to spend it doing just that: taking care of himself.

He'd started by letting himself sleep in, and now he was tucking into a hearty breakfast. He was in Japan, so he decided a nice walk outside would do him some good.

The air was warm and crisp with just a little bit of wind. Jinki felt it run through his hair, enjoying its caress. He was going nowhere in particular, but his feet led him to a garden.

It looked so calm and peaceful as he strolled through it, hands in his pockets, inhaling the scent of the flowers. Maybe one day he'd buy a house and have a garden of his own.

There was a stream passing underneath a red bridge, so he paused to look at the fish in the water. As he did, he noticed a woman kneeling by the water's edge.

"Be careful miss, you might fall in," he called, and she looked up, surprised by his presence.

"Oh, I'm just making a sketch." She showed him her sketchbook. "But thanks."

"That's beautiful." He smiled.

She blushed. "Oh, thank you." Jinki watched as she moved her hair behind her ear.

With a final nod, Jinki moved on and went to go sit on the inviting green grass. Nature had always rejuvenated his soul, right from when he was young. Smiling as he recalled some fun times he had had with friends in the past, he leaned back with his arms behind his head and let the sun warm him. Everything was just perfect.

After a while, he opened his eyes and turned his head to the side, accidentally making eye contact with the woman from earlier. She lowered her eyes to her sketchbook, blushing.

"What are you drawing?" Jinki asked.

"Oh." She was flustered. "You."

"Me?" He propped himself up, curious.

"You just looked so peaceful, I had to draw it." She continued blushing furiously, unable to meet his eyes. He smiled.

"Can I see it?"

She handed him the book and he looked at it, definitely recognising himself.

"You're very talented."

"Thank you."

"Do you come here often?"

"Almost every day, actually. How about you?"

"I'm on holiday." Jinki sat up. "You can sit closer if you want."

The girl obliged, reluctantly starting to draw again. He was fascinated by this. How was she managing to do it so naturally and easily?

Feeling his gaze on her, she turned to him. "Do you want to try?"

"Oh no, I can't draw."

"Everyone can draw if they try." She handed him the book and her pencil set. "Try it."

Jinki smiled and tried his best to draw a picture of her. Of course it wasn't that great, but he tried his best.

"See, I'm really not gifted for this," he said as he handed the book back.

She laughed as she looked at it. "I like it, it's cute."

He laughed too. Like you, he thought. "I'm glad you like it."

"I'm actually an art teacher."

"Oh, that explains a lot."

"Why don't you sign this? Then I can say I have your first ever masterpiece."

He laughed and obliged. He really liked this girl.

Looking at her watch, she suddenly got up. "It's time to get something to eat." She waved at him. "See you around."

Jinki got up too. "Wanna get something together?"

Her surprise showed as her cheeks were once more tinged pink. "Sure."

"Lead the way."

The two got food from a street vendor and went back to their previous spot to enjoy it. Afterwards, they sat in a comfortable silence.

"Are you gonna be here long?" she asked eventually.

"Well, I have no plans for today. And I still have a week left of my holiday." He cocked his head to the side. "Why? Do you wanna draw me more?"

She turned red. "I wouldn't mind," she mumbled.

Jinki chuckled and lay back down, eyes closed and arms behind his head again. "Go ahead."

The girl started sketching him again as they made light conversation. With the sun warming his skin again, Jinki truly did feel at peace. It was nice meeting someone new too.

They stayed there until it started getting later. Both of them stood up and faced each other, unsure of what to say.

"Well, if you ever want art lessons..." The girl pulled out a business card and gave it to him. "You can just let me know."

Jinki smiled and then gave her a hug, taking her off-guard. "Thanks for today, I had fun."

"Of course." The girl looked down, blushing again.

"Will you be here tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Then I'll be back too. Maybe I'll improve my drawing."

She smiled. "I look forward to that."

Giving her a small wave, he left with a bounce in his step.

That night as he lay in bed, he went over his day, feeling that it had been a good self-care day. He was rejuvenated now, and curious about the woman he'd just met. Who knew what would happen there? In any case, he was excited to find out.