298 - 299

After forcing herself to calm down, Lisa whipped out her phone and rang up the cops. But the police were slow as molasses in winter, and with the car engine dead, it was hot as hell inside. 

Before long, the suffocating heat made her breathe like a fish out of water. 

Seeing no sign of the cops, Lisa hit up Hailey right away. But Hailey was rushing off to deal with some drama at the nightclub, leaving her phone in the car, so she missed the call. 

After a few tries and no answer, Lisa gave up dialing. 

She lifted her red–rimmed eyes to the tightly shut mansion gate, not a soul in sight to bail her out. 

The lack of air and the suffocating feeling made her blood boil. 

She hoisted her phone and smashed it against the car window, again and again, until the screen was shattered, but she didn’t let up. 

Never before had she been this pissed off, her anger fueling her as she gritted her teeth and kept smashing. 

Ethan, leaning on the railing, had a bird’s eye view of the whole scene but didn’t make a move, just watching indifferently. 

Despite all her efforts, Lisa’s phone was kaput but the car window was still intact…. 

She was so knackered she couldn’t keeping smashing the window, and just dropped her phone helplessly. 

Then she sat there, feeling the air in the cramped space slowly disappearing 

After a long time, Ethan sauntered over. He rolled down the passenger window, and bent over to look at the pale–faced Lisa. 

“Think twice before breaking curfew again, yeah?” Ethan asked. 

The cool air from outside was a lifeline for the oxygen–deprived Lisa. 

She leaned against the window, gulping the fresh air, and after she had caught her breath, she lifted her reddened eyes, and shot Ethan a cold look, not uttering a single word. She was just staring at him. 

Meeting her gaze, as deep as a starry sky, Ethan was momentarily taken aback. 

Emilia used to look at him with the same eyes when she was hurt, but she never wanted to talk about it. 

Thinking of Emilia, Ethan instinctively averted his gaze, straightened up. He opened the car door, and let her out. 

Clutching her wildly beating heart, Lisa kept a poker face and got out of the car. 

He thought she would follow him back to the mansion, but she turned on her heel and walked away without a backward glance. 

Ethan tried to catch up and grab her arm, but she shook him off, shot him another icy look, and bolted. 

Ethan stood there dumbstruck, watching her tiny figure recede into the distance, a furrow appearing between his brows. He hadn’t expected her to be so feisty 

After leaving the mansion, Lisa walked along a deserted street, her slim figure casting a long shadow under the streetlights. 

With her busted phone in hand, she headed towards Hailey’s place, walking faster and faster, wishing she could rush into Hailey’s arms and beg her, “Hailey, I need your help: