Chapter 13

Daphne Renata.

I bit back a smile, tucking the ID back in my wallet. I was finally an acknowledged citizen of this country.

A week ago, around mid January, Chris and Nathaniel accompanied Mark and me to a few government facilities in order to finish off some procedures.

I had been extremely reluctant to go. Chris reassured me that he had everything under control, and Nathaniel came along, which settled my nerves.

Everything went smoothly. Too smoothly. And it made me realize that I truly didn't know the extent of Nathaniel and Chris' power and influence. They had been received in private offices very deferentially, away from the people lining up for the services.

Yesterday, Chris dropped off my and Mark's papers. The document I prized above all else was the one that proved my legal guardianship of Mark. When Chris had handed it to me, I had had a hard time swallowing back my tears.

I stuck my wallet in my bag, closing the locker. The café's changing room was empty but for me. Someone knocked and got in. Molly skipped inside, her curls bouncing and her usual smile lighting up her face. "Going home?"

"Yes, I'm finished for the day," I said, carrying my bag. "When do you have a shift again?"

Molly had started college again, so her shifts would be shorter and less frequent than mine.

"Saturday morning. The same as you, right?"

"Yeah. I'll see you on Saturday, then," I called, leaving the changing room.

"See you, D!"

Mark and I left for the house. It was a short walk away, and the weather was stable nowadays.

"What are we having for dinner?" Mark asked as I unlocked the apartment door.

"I don't know yet," I replied. Taking off my scarf and my coat, I hung them in the entryway closet. "What do you want?"

"Chicken pie," Mark replied.

"We had that yesterday," I said.

"Chicken pie," he said again, taking off his coat. I went to take it from him but he hung it next to mine on his own.

I sighed. "There's still some leftover. I'll heat it up for you and just whip something light for me. Nathaniel is having dinner outside."

Mark nodded, his smile satisfied as he went inside ahead of me. Over the last month, he had changed in a way I never thought was possible. At least around Nathaniel, Claire and me.

Physical contact with anyone other than me was still rare for him, but he was more verbal in his communication, he could hold longer eye contact, and he very rarely flicked his fingers anymore. He also was growing more independant and less attached to me.

The doctor had been right. Mark might not be autistic, after all. Still, we had an appointment with her tomorrow.

I was debating what to make myself for dinner when the phone rang. It was Nathaniel.

He should've been home this time of the day, but the past few days he stayed late at work. They had a big project coming up, apparently.

I didn't know the details, but he would come home exhausted, and would often complain about it during our nightly conversations after Mark went to sleep. He was supposed to be home later tonight after a business dinner.

"Hi, Daphne," His voice sounded urgent, "please tell me you're home."

"Yes. What's wrong?" I opened the fridge and scanned the shelves.