Chapter 26

Two pairs of footsteps walked inside, then the door closed with a final snick. Chris and Nathaniel turned.

"Maxwell and Pierce?" A voice said. I looked at the faint reflection of the room in the glass. Robbins looked at Alister with a smile. "That's who you want to introduce me to? I'm a lucky man to have you as a friend, Alister."

You would soon see just how lucky you were, bastard.

"Of course you are," Alister said, waving Alister toward the couch. "Nathaniel Maxwell and Chris Pierce. Nathaniel, Chris, this is Jake Robbins."

Robbins shook the men's hands. I could see him looking my way. But when none of the men volunteered to introduce us, he sat down with them on the couch.

"Alister tells me there's some business I might be interested in," Robbins said.

"Yes," Chris replied, pushing a few notes on his laptop before turning it toward Robbins. "Why don't you take a look. I'm sure you'll find it very intriguing."

Robbins leaned closer to the screen. I couldn't resist. I turned my face so I could clearly see his reaction. He narrowed his eyes on the screen, his smile slowly melting away. Then his eyes widened, he glanced at Chris and picked the laptop up, put it on his lap, and scrolled through it frantically.

"What the hell is this?" he asked, looking at Alister with eyes full of horror and rage.

Nathaniel was looking at Robbins like he wanted to bash his head against the coffee table. Fortunately, he was seated farthest away from Robbins. Alister simply crossed one leg over the other. "I'm sure you're smart enough to know what that is."

"Mr. Robbins," Chris said. "We'd like to come to an agreement."

Robbins dropped the laptop on the desk. "You mean you want to blackmail me."

Chris smiled. It wasn't a nice smile. I had no idea Chris could look that threatening. "Now, don't go putting words into my mouth. We just have a small favor to ask. I'm sure you won't find it particularly difficult."

Robbins' chest was heaving with angry breaths. "What?"

"We'd like an invitation to the House."

Robbins froze. He looked between the three men, his eyes flickering with evident panic. "What do you mean?"

Chris sighed. "Let's not do this, Robbins."

Robbins simply stared at Chris, his lips sewn shut. Chris shook his head. "Danny, the feed please."

Danny's fingers flew over his keyboard. The screen to the left lit up with the image of the compound.

Robbins' face lost all remaining color.

"Now, do we understand each other?" Chris said.

Robbins linked his hands on his lap, his knuckles white. "What's that place?"

I snorted. Robbins' eyes snapped my way. I turned fully to face him. "Really, Robbins?" I said. "You don't recognize the place where you killed Ester? I'm disappointed."

Robbins looked like he saw a ghost. He slowly stood to his feet, wide eyed. "You..." he whispered.

"Yes, me," I said, taking a few steps forward. "Do you remember the place? Or maybe I should tell them about Ester? Or about Lilliana? The girl was still sixteen when you first started visiting her. Is she even still alive?"

His expression slowly morphed from surprise to shock and then fear.

"Should I keep telling them about the other women you tortured, you sick bastard? Or do you remember the House, now?"