Chapter 25

"Of course," I mumbled, stepping out of the car. Of course Alister would also live in a mansion.

"What's that?" Nathaniel said, coming to stand next to me. His black hair swallowed the orange sunset. He looked dashing in a three piece suit, with the silver pocket square that I made for him on his birthday and the matching silver tie. A black three quarter coat completed his look.

He usually dressed this way for work. But he had been working from home ever since Mark's accident, and seeing him like this after his casual look the last few days hammered home the point that he was one of the most successful men in the country, and one of the most handsome. I bet Mrs. Huang's eyes would turn into hearts if she saw him this way. I smiled at the thought.

"What's funny?" Nathaniel asked, taking my hand and putting it on the crook of his elbow. What a gentleman.

"Nothing. Just thinking that all the mothers in the country would love to have a son-in-law like you."

His eyes crinkled. "I'm not interested in being anyone's son-in-law, unfortunately for the female population of the country."

We walked up the driveway. The setting sun glinted off the windshield of another car parked in the driveway. There were very few. Not all guests were here yet.

"So modest, too," I mumbled. The back and forth helped me ignore my nerves. I tucked my other hand in my coat's pocket and touched the knife. The feeling brought me a small measure of comfort.

A flight of gray stone steps cut through the garden surrounding the house, leading to the front porch. The house itself was a modern two floor, the square shapes of the design made alternatively of steely gray stone and glass.

The bodyguards stayed down the steps. I glanced back at them.

"Chris has his men around the property," Nathaniel said, noting my gaze.

Sure enough, two men stood at attention on either side of the front door. Before Nathaniel could knock, the chrome black door was pulled open. Chris stood in the doorway, dressed in a navy suit, a white shirt and a striped silver and blue tie. His blond hair was combed back, and his blue eyes were dark and intense.

"You're here. Good. Come in," he said and disappeared inside. Nathaniel and I followed. Nathaniel obviously knew his way around. There was no butler this time, and Nathaniel hung his coat and mine in the entryway closet. I held onto my knife and tucked it in the pocket of my dress. All dresses should have pockets.

I glanced around. High ceilings, steely walls and... was that a pool? Inside the house? I blinked.

The area was almost too... sterile. The ground was set in varying levels, with a couple of steps leading up or down. The pool was in the middle of the space in the lowest level. To the right was an open kitchen with chrome black cabinets and a granite island. To the left was a seating area with dark blue couches, a long glass coffee table, and a pure white carpet.

Right across from the front door, the wall was made entirely of glass. It overlooked a garden. It was busy with waiters and workers setting up the space with slim, high tables and a buffet counter at the side. An outdoor party? In this weather?

Chris was running up a flight of stairs, leading to the indoor balcony of the second floor.

"Come on," Nathaniel said. My heels clicked on the pristine gray floors. For some reason, this place suited Alister perfectly.

We went down a couple of steps to the pool and walked alongside it, then up three steps to the glass wall that overlooked the garden outside. I glanced up. The entire garden was covered in glass. It was like a hothouse. Now the outdoor party made sense.