Chapter 29

Blake's best friend.

The words brought with them a thread of trepidation. How close was this going to get? I looked at Nathaniel, and in his eyes I saw the fear. Fear for his brother. They might not get along, but they were still brothers.

"Maybe he's not involved," I told him. "I never saw Blake before."

Nathaniel put the notebook down on the table and dropped down on the seat next to me. "Maybe... But his friend can't be an old client, though. He's still young."

I chewed on my cheek. "He's only started visiting in the last year," I said.

Nathaniel rubbed his face. "Which means there's a chance that he recently dragged Blake into it as well, after you left."

It was true. Blake's friend had been a recent client. He could very well have invited Blake there after I had escaped. Considering what I knew about Blake, I didn't think he would mind going to such a place.

I sighed. No, that wasn't fair. I didn't know Blake. It was true that our encounters had painted him in a bad light, to say the least, but that didn't mean that he would be involved.

Nathaniel had a frown on his face during lunch. He must still be worried about Blake.

He was cleaning up the kitchen after, while I turned on the coffee machine. I leaned against the island and watched him as the coffee machine gurgled to life.

"What is it?" he asked, looking over his shoulder at me. He folded the wet rag, put it next to the sink, and turned to face me, his smile playful. "As much as I love you staring at me, I can almost hear your brain working."

I ignored the way my heart danced to his words. This wasn't the time. "Do you regret it?"

He frowned. "Regret what?"

"Helping me with the House," I said. "Now that you know Blake might be involved, this mess might affect him, and he's your brother, so..."

"He's my brother, and I worry about him as much as he annoys me," he said. "But if he's involved in this, then he should deal with the consequences. This is the right thing to do, Daphne. Just because someone I care about is involved doesn't mean I'll stop."

I had known he would say this, but I'd been a little worried, nonetheless. Relief flooded my chest. I nodded. "Okay."

"The fact that you might even think otherwise is very insulting," he said, crossing his arms. His face was serious, but there was a smile in his eyes. "I'm very hurt. I demand compensation."

I snorted. "Aha. What kind of compensation?"

He leaned forward and turned his face, giving me his cheek. He tapped his finger on his cheek with a grin. "A kiss."

I raised my hand, about to pinch his cheek, but changed my mind at the last minute and pressed my lips to his face. He froze, looking at me with wide eyes.

My heart pounded. "What?" I asked, crossing my arms. "Isn't that what you asked for?"

He blinked, a slow smile stretched his face and lined his cheeks. "I did. But to be completely honest, I expected a little punch or something."

He knew me too well. "I changed my mind at the very last second," I told him, straightening up. I walked to the coffee machine and said over my shoulder. "You should count yourself lucky."

He laughed. "Oh, I know I am, love. I know I am."

Nathaniel and I took our coffees and played a game of chess. He'd improved compared to the first time we played. I still beat him, but it took me considerably longer.