Back in Seattle

Shock. It is the only word that can describe how I am feeling. I was talking to my brother when he decided to risk his life to save a stranger. The others tried their best to keep him alive but there was nothing that they could do. So I just held my brother's hand while he died. The thing is I had the chance to stop him but I didn't. Right now I am watching on as they take my brother's organs. Even in death, he wanted to save lives. Of course, my mum and I disagreed but I knew what George wanted.

"Erin, can you say something please?" My mum is begging for my attention. What can I say? I chose to ignore her as the situation between us is already shaky and I don't want to make it worse. Instead, I turned my attention to one of my brother's doctors.

"Erin, you should talk to your mum," He says.

"With all due respect, Doctor Shepard there is not much for me to say that hasn't already been said. My brother is dead and there is nothing that I can do about it even if I wanted to," I snap as I leave. After a couple of minutes, I found what I was looking for. I glanced over my shoulder to make sure no one was following me. Since no one followed me I headed into the bathroom. I made it just in time. I collapse to the ground crying. I want my brother back. After what feels like an eternity I am joined by Meredith, one of George's best friends. I sigh as she sits down.

"Go away," I say mustering some strength.

"Look what happened to George wasn't fair. None of it is fair but he'd want you to keep going. You're his sister. His legacy lives on in you," Meredith counters.

"You don't understand. He was more than a brother to me. He was there for me when nobody else was," I manage to say before the tears take hold.

It has been ten long years since then and I am doing something I thought I'd never do. I am returning home. Ever since my brother George died Seattle never felt the same so I left. I went to England. It was there that I became a paramedic for the National Health Service. It was the thing that George was pushing me towards before he died. Right now I am watching through the window as the plane comes in to land at King Country International. I guess I should actually tell you my name. My name is Erin O'Malley. Yep, my brother was George O'Malley. After a few minutes of watching a thud rings through the plane's cabin. That can only mean that we have landed. The PA system crackles to life.

"This is your captain speaking. On behalf of the team, I would like to welcome you to Seattle," The captain announces. In my case, it is a welcome home. After what feels like an eternity I finally made it through the airport. Once I pass through security I am greeted by a familiar face.

"I am glad you're back," My mum remarks as she pulls me into a big hug.

"I'm glad to be back," I say as I pull away.

It has been a couple of days since then and I am getting ready for work. Before I left England I made sure to reach out to the Seattle Fire Department to request an international transfer. Thankfully the request was accepted. In fact, according to Chief Ripley, he offered me a position at the best firehouse in Seattle. Of course, I took it.

"Erin I can take you to the firehouse if you want," My mum offers.

"It's ok. Ronny beat you to it. He wants to catch up with me," I say. Both of my remaining brothers wanted to take me but I flipped a coin because I didn't want to deal with both of them in one go. They are utter chaos together. It doesn't take long for the doorbell to sound. My mum answers it as I grab the last of my things.

"ERIN ARE YOU READY?" Mum yells from the other side of the house.

"YES," I reply equally as loud. Well here goes. After fifteen minutes of catching up with my brother, we made it to station 19. I take a deep breath as Ronny says goodbye. Well, this is it. It is at that moment I notice someone waiting for me. He looks like he has an air of authority to him however he doesn't have the Captain's bars on his collar.