Of course, my day from hell had to get worse

"Leave her alone. She can do whatever she wants," George jumps to my defence. The reason? Well I want to become a paramedic. Sure I have four years to pick a career but because I'm not as smart as George I want to become a paramedic. My other brothers are not happy about it. They've always taken to teasing me. This time it feels like an attack rather than the gentle sibling jabs.

I come around to the feeling of a shoe making contact with my leg. I groan as I come around to my situation. As Travis left Jay knocked me out. I try my best to escape but my hands are tied. I glance at the person who kicked me in the leg. It's Andrew. It looks like he is trying not to panic. He is not doing a good job of it. The good thing for us is the fact that Jay used zip ties.

"Hey Andrew, look at me. We are going to get through this ok. Look at me. We are going to get through this," I say as I twist my wrists. I soon give up as my nose is hit by the smell of paint and smoke. That can only mean one thing. With one last twist, I am free. Now that I am free I get to work on freeing Andrew.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," He utters as I break him free.

"Look at me. I'm the one that should be sorry. I got you into this mess," I say as I check the door. Thankfully it is cold for now. I quickly shed the outer layer of my uniform.

"I need you to wrap this around your face. Make sure you cover your nose," I offer my shirt to Andrew. Using my free hand I pull my undershirt over my nose. It is not much but it is better than nothing. With a few swift movements, Andrew does as I instructed. I tentatively open the door. As soon I do I am met by a searing heat.

"We need to find a way out," Andrew utters. That is the plan Captain Obvious. An explosion rings out as I pull Andrew back into the room that we were in. Dammit. The smoke begins its assault on our lungs as I close the door behind us. I'll give Jay credit. He knows what he is doing. As I think of a plan I pull Andrew down.

"Stay low-," my command is cut off by a sharp pain in my lungs causing me to cough. Ok, I just need to breathe and focus on keeping Andrew alive. I run through my mental checklist of what to do in case someone is trapped in a room by fire. Unfortunately, I have already done everything that I can do. I check the door again. It has warmed up a little. That is not a good sign. I slump down next to Andrew.

"We're dead aren't we?" He mumbles before coughing.

"No. I have faith. Station 19 knows we are missing. They'll come looking," I say as I fight for a breath. After what feels like an eternity I hear familiar voices. It's Jack Gibson and Maya Bishop. With my remaining strength, I bang on the door. A sharp pain shoots through my hand. The door is now hot. I fight through it as I need to get their attention.

"Erin stand back," Jack orders. With that, I shuffle back. Before Jack can do anything the smoke that was filling the room finally wins its battle. I can feel myself letting go. The next thing I know is the fact that I am being loaded into the ambulance. An oxygen mask is on my face.

"DeLuca? Andrew, is he ok?" I mumble as I come around to the situation.

"He's ok thanks to you," Travis responds.

"Since I need to go to the hospital, can you take me to Grey Sloan?" I tentatively ask as Travis double-checks his handy work. I glance at my hand to see that it is wrapped in a bandage.

"Let me guess. Partial thickness burn," I say. That would explain the pain that I felt when I banged my hand against the door. Travis nods.

"Umm...just so that you know Jay wasn't caught," Travis informs me. Of course. Oh well, there is nothing that I can do. Because of that tidbit, I spent the rest of the ride to Grey Sloan in silence.

It has been thirty minutes since my squabble with Ronny and Jerry and I am mentally recovering. Contrary to popular belief. I can and I will become a paramedic.

"No mum, I'll talk to her. Jerry and Ronny got to her this time and I know how that feels," George responds to whatever my mum said before.

"Ok just make sure she knows that she can follow her dreams regardless of what we say," My mum remarks as a knock on the door can be heard. Before I can answer George forces his way in.

"Hey Georgie," I say as I sit up.

"Hey E. I assume you heard what Mum said?" George asks.

"Yeah," I respond.

"She is right and besides I think you're suited to being a paramedic," George reassures me. Luckily for him, he knows exactly how to cheer me up.

It has been a couple of hours since then and I'm back at work. Captain Sullivan decided that it would be better for me to return to the station. Before you can ask I am on desk duty. Not that I am complaining as the bandage on my hand is making life difficult. Right now I am staring off into space. For some reason, I am thinking of Andrew. There was something different about him. It was the way he panicked.

"The only reason why she wants to become a paramedic is because that's what her crush wants to do," Ronny jeers.

"Earth to Erin...earth to Erin," Travis jokes, snapping me back to reality.

"I read you loud and clear Travis. Before you can ask I am fine. I'm just thinking," I say as I give Travis my trademark death glare.

"Well lunch is ready if you want and I still think you are wondering about DeLuca," Travis says as he backs up. He is lucky that I don't have anything to throw at him. The thing is he is not wrong. The thought makes me giggle. It is the first time since the arson drama began. After thirty minutes of eating and then socialising, I head back to the desk as the signal bell summons the others. After a few minutes of double-checking everything I am summoned by a knock on the door. It's Andrew. In his arms is a box.

"Erin, can you let me in?"

"Of course," I responded as I let him in.

"I know it's not enough but I wanted to thank you for saving my life," Andrew explains as he offers me the box. As soon as I take it I am hit by the smell of donuts from my favourite bakery.

"Look Andrew I'm going to be honest with you. I was only doing my job. You were just in the right place at the wrong time," I counter. I can feel my cheeks burning as bright as the sun.

"Umm...why don't you and I go out when my shift is done? Then we'll be even," I say. I can't believe that those words fell out of my mouth. Andrew looks shocked at the idea. His hand reaches for the invisible itch on the back of his neck. After considering my offer Andrew gives in. After a minute we had our phone numbers exchanged.

"Well thank you for saving my life but I'd better go before my sister freaks," Andrew remarks as he leaves. After an hour I am still on cloud nine. The thing is I don't know what is wrong with Andrew but I will find out in due course.

"I see you're still off-world," Travis remarks, catching me off guard.

"Well you know Andrew DeLuca?" I get to work on explaining the situation.

"Yeah, that cute doctor. What about him?" Travis asks.

"He came into the station with donuts from Columbo's and I may or may not have asked him out," I am being vague on purpose. I don't want the Travis gossip machine to start up again. To be honest I'm only going out with him as a favour. I don't know if it is going to go anywhere. Hopefully, it does as Travis is right. He is cute and nice all wrapped up nicely in a package. Eww. I can't believe that my mind went that way as Andrew is a person.

"Just let me know how it goes," Travis remarks.

"No," I retort. He may be the gossip king but I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of knowing what is going on. Mostly because of the fact that I don't know. The thought makes me smile as we are joined by the others. At least the situation with Jay is over for now. I mean he is still out there but Ryan and the rest of the police are going to do whatever they can to find him. I just need to have faith.