The second date and the truth

It is the day after and I am waiting. Why? Well, Andrew got back to me and he said he was happy to chill at Joe's. After all, Andrew said he was going to go there anyway. He did warn me that he had a rough day. The thing is he never told me if it was because his team lost someone or if the surgeries he had scheduled were long. My finger absentmindedly taps on my knee while I wait.

"What are you doing here again? I thought you had enough after yesterday" Alex teases as he joins me.

"I am waiting for someone. As to who it is that is none of your business," I retorted. I am still not interested in talking to him. Before he can say anything I am joined by Andrew. It is at that moment Alex's eyes go wide.

"So that's why Deluca's been in a good mood," Alex utters.

"Why don't you leave us alone," I retort as I basically drag Andrew away. There is no way that I am going to let him ruin my night with Andrew. Before you can ask there is something about Alex that puts me in a bad mood. Thankfully Joe's is close. After a couple of minutes of walking, we made it to Joe's.

"Can I ask what that was about?" Andrew asks as we sit down.

"What do you mean?" My face scrunches up.

"You and Alex," Andrew gets to the point.

"Well...my brother used to work at Grey Sloan and Alex treated him like his personal punching bag," I give Andrew the simple explanation as I don't want to talk about the full story. Andrew nods along.

"Before you can ask I know Alex has changed but still I hold grudges like you wouldn't believe. Especially when my family is involved" I add on for good measure. I can feel Andrew's eyes scanning me as if he is trying to tell whether or not I am lying.

"There is more to the story," Andrew deduces. Wow. Either he is really good at reading people or I am terrible at masking how I really feel. I find myself clamming up. I need to tell him but I can't. Sensing some level of awkwardness Andrew flags down the bartender. After receiving our drinks Andrew flashes me the puppy dog eyes. It is as if he is trying to tell me something without actually telling me something. I hate the fact that it is only our second date and I want to run.

"You know what? Forget I ever brought it up. Whatever it is you are clearly uncomfortable sharing," Andrew dismisses his curiosity.

"Yes but whilst I feel uncomfortable telling you it is something that will change our relationship going forward," I say before sipping on my drink. The truth is I want my thing with Andrew to continue but a part of me is scared that I will lose him in the way that I lost George.

"Whatever it is, I am sure we can work it out whenever you are ready. Anyway, I want to relax tonight. I have had one hell of a day," Andrew changes the subject. Thankfully he understands. After an hour of socialising, we are heading back to Andrew's for the night. A part of me will regret it tomorrow but I just need to relax.

It has been a few hours since then and I am wide awake. Why? Well, I had a nightmare where instead of George lying in the hospital bed it was Andrew. I glance over at him. He is fast asleep. He looks peaceful. I then turn my attention to making my getaway. After a few seconds, I realise what I am doing is stupid. A sigh falls from my mouth. I will have to explain what happened later. After gathering a few things I am ready to leave. Before I do I make sure to give Andrew a peak on the cheek.

It has been a couple of hours since then and I am currently throwing myself into completing the inventory. It is out of the sheer guilt of just leaving without telling Andrew. The annoying thing is it was only the second date.

"How was it?" the last person I wanted to speak to about this shows up.

"It was good, Travis, then I bailed. He told me that I wasn't giving him the full story. Before you can ask I haven't told him about George," I explain the situation. Saying it out loud has made the embarrassment all but worse. I will have to apologise later as right now I have a job to do. Before Travis has the chance to reply the signal bell goes. At least it means I can turn my attention to something more important.