The Day from hell

Erin's POV
It has been a couple of days since then and I am supposed to be relaxing but I got something that I didn't want to receive. A threat. That can only mean one thing. I'm Jay's next victim. The thing is I spent the entirety of the last shift looking over my shoulder. I felt like I was being watched. Right now I am at Joe's. The others thought it would be a good idea just to let loose after a long shift. I am trying my best but with everything looming over me I'm just watching the others.

"Hopefully you don't mind if I join you. Doctor Bailey thought you could do with some company. My name is Andrew Deluca," A man remarks as he joins me.

"So you're a doctor from Grey Sloan? And go for it. I need someone or something to distract me from the nightmare I am having at work," I respond.

"Yeah. I'm sorry we couldn't prevent Jay from leaving. We tried our best once we realised that the burn on his arm was a chemical burn," Andrew apologises as he sits down. He looks just as annoyed as I do.

"There is nothing that you or I can do. Anyway, I want to use this opportunity to relax," I say. Andrew and I soon fall into idle chit-chat. It feels good to be talking to someone outside of work. The thing is I feel bad for venting to him but at the same time, it has reminded me that it doesn't hurt to have as many people as possible to talk to. After what feels like an eternity I am ready to go.

"Thank you for keeping me company but I've got a long day tomorrow," I excuse myself.

"Umm...this is going to sound weird but I was hoping maybe I could take you home. Just to make sure you get back safely," Andrew fumbles his way through a response. After a second of consideration, I take him up on his offer for the simple reason that I can't think of an excuse to decline the offer. It is the day after and I am getting ready for work despite my mum's protests. The good thing about last night was the fact that Andrew offered to take me to the station since he feels a little guilty about preventing Jay's escape from Grey Sloan.

"Mum, I'll be fine. I'll call you once Andrew drops me off," I remarked as I lifted my duffle bag over my shoulder. I get why she worries but the weird thing is the safest place for me to be is at work. A knocking rings through the house. I tentatively answer the door. My body is flooded with relief. It's Andrew. He seems worried.

"What's wrong Andrew?" I sense that something is wrong. There is something off about his posture.

"I was followed. We should go now," Andrew remarks. I quickly followed him to his car. As I take the passenger seat I notice what he means. Thankfully it doesn't take long for us to get going. After yet another eternity we finally made it to the station.

"Hey Erin make sure you stay safe," Andrew remarks as we part ways.

"I plan on it," I retort as I look over my shoulder one last time before entering the station. With that, I make a beeline to the locker room. There I am greeted by Travis. He has a sour look on his face.

"Are you sure you should be here?" Travis turns his attention to me.

"Look Travis I'll tell you what I told Andrew, I am in the safest place," I counter.

"Wait, you mean the cute guy you met at Joe's?" Travis loosens up. He is always happy for some gossip.

"Yes but we've just met so I wouldn't read too much into it," I counter as I get to work on exchanging my civilian clothes for my uniform. Travis goes to say something but I shut him down. As nice as Andrew is now is not the time for me to think about dating. I just need to get through the arson stuff. After a minute I am finally ready for my day. I take a deep breath as I close my locker. As soon as I am done the signal bell goes. It is another medical call. With that, I head to the ambulance. This time I am once again joined by Travis. He doesn't seem happy. I can't blame him. After a few minutes of driving, we made it to the scene. There is just one problem. There are no victims to be seen. That can only mean one thing. An ambulance ambush.

"Crap," Travis utters just as a gunshot rings out. The windscreen shatters as I duck. I notice Jay has taken the position in front of the ambulance. His gun is drawn.

"Look Travis there is only one way out of this. Make sure Ryan knows," I give my orders as I raise my hands.

"Erin, I know you're there. Come out and I'll leave your partner alone," Jay makes his demands.

"You can't," Travis grabs my wrists forcing my arms down.

"I can, Travis. If I don't go he'll kill us both. At least if I go I can fight my way out of this," I say as I yank my wrists free. I take a deep breath. I have to do this. After a few seconds of back and forth, I've made up my mind. I take another deep breath as I leave the safety of the ambulance.

"You've got me. Now let Travis go," I demand. Jay gestures for Travis to go.

Travis' POV
There is literally nothing that I can do. I want to go out there and help Erin but then again Jay made himself clear. With that, I leave the scene. I radioed what happened. After a few minutes of driving, I made it back to the station. As soon as I park the ambulance I am met by Captain Sullivan and Ryan. Neither of them are happy.

"Travis, can you tell me what happened?" Ryan asks.

"We were ambushed. Jay took Erin at gunpoint. I had no choice. Cap, I think there is going to be another arson," I announce. My heart is racing. Even though I've only known Erin for a few days we've become close. I try to take a deep breath but the air catches on my throat.

"Travis breathe, ok. Just breathe," Captain Sullivan jumps in. He is right. She may be new but she is part of the crew. After a few seconds, I finally have my anxiety under control. Like Captain Sullivan said we will rescue her. A part of me knows that there is a chance that we might be late.

"Look unfortunately there is not much that we can do until we work out where Jay's next target will be but I will pass on any information," Ryan makes a promise to Both Captain Sullivan and I.

"Thank you," Captain Sullivan remarks. Now for the hard part. Waiting. I join the others in the rec area. There is no point in doing inventory or any other chores since the day from hell has only just begun.