◆ six

matt was so shocked about his interaction with maeve he still didnt know quite what to do. he wanted thag jacket sure, not that much he just thought it was cool. she made it personal..

'no wonder i fucking hate that girl' matt thought to himself as he walked down the street.

he planned to follow her but she slipped away out of sight, he thought she went into a shop around the corder but when he looked around the corner it was a smocker shop, she wouldnt of gone in there.

he pulled out his phone and checked the time. school still wasnt out but he didnt want to go home. the only place he could go was on a walk.. in the nearest forest.

he walked slowly towards the entrance to the woods. he pulled his white earphones out of his pocket and plugged it into his phone hole. he clicked shuffle on his playlist and put one earphone in. matt stuffed the other one in his palm he liked it being there, something to play with.

two whole hours passed of him walking, occasionally humming to the song.

suddenly he heard a branch snap, it sounded like it was infront of him so he didnt think too much about it.

matt turned down his music slightly so he could hear clearer.

he kept his eyes peeled for any suspicious behavior infront. a couple minutes passed with him walking slower then before.

his heart felt heavy he thought he was in danger but he didnt want to run away incase it was nothing.

something grabbed his eyes in the distance, smoke.

he saw the silhouette of a person and saw the cigarette in their hand, they didnt look much older than him, like they didnt look like an old man.

their hood was up and matt was fairly far away from them.

he said, "dont burn the forest down."

to break the silence and to alert that someone was there.

»»--⍟--««

she pulled out a cigarette from the box and lit it. inhailing the contents and blowing them back out. she heard footsteps approach her but still very faintly. she knew someone was there with her she didnt want to look behind, it could be anyone.

as they slowly came closer, theyr footsteps were light and bouncy, they were skinny. she didnt think it was an old man about to kidnap her, she didnt mind if he did anyway.

the fag was running out fast she was breathing it in alot bearly having breaks between. she heard music, rap music. they were clearly leaking from their earphones.

suddenly she heard, 'dont burn the forest down' coming from the mystery person.

well.. not so much a mystery anymore.

»»--⍟--««

chris walked out of school and waited by the gate. nick and ava walked out together and saw chris so they walked up to him. issy came up a couple minutes after them. they waited for matt and maeve but they never came. they assumed they skipped so they went home.

chris texted maeve to let him know where she is now.
nick texted matt to let him know where he is now.

»»--⍟--««

as he got closer he noticed the jacket, the same jacket maeve had earlier. he sighed as he realized it was her. the anxiety he had building up inside suddenly released.

"thats my jacket you know." he spoke aloud.

she jumped at the sound of his voice, she knew who it was but she dreaded seeing him again. hearing his voice, looking at his face was enough to make her angry, and she wasnt in the mood to get more agitated.

she dropped the cigarette and smushed it with her foot. trying to hide her addiction no one knew about she shoved the box into her jacket pocket with the lighter. maeve slipped the vape up her sleeve anxiety pumping through her as he got nearer.

maeve looked around frantically for anything left signaling that she was smoking. aside from the cigarette butt on the floor she was currently covering with the botton side of her converse nothing else signified she was a smoker.

well.. exept the fact he saw it in her hand.

"what were you doing?" he asked looking around for the box of cigarettes he saw a minute ago. "what was the smoke i saw?"

"it was your mind playing tricks on you." she tried to leave but he came up from behind her and placed his hands around her waist sitting her back down.

he swooped around her now standing infront of her.

unexpectedly the vape up her sleeve fell out and landed infront of his feet. he looked down to see the purple plastic rectangle with rounded edges.

"what are you doing with this maeve?" matt asked picking it up from the floor.

"none of your business jerk" she snatched it out of his hand and pushed him out of the way.

she trudged through the woods until she reached the end. she saw the sun slowly set and the sound of twigs snapping behind her she knew matt was getting closer she just was too tired to continue walking.

"MATTHEW FUCKING LEAVE ME ALONE" she shouted at him as he stopped walking behind her.

he jumped at her sharp words, "dont call me what." he mumbled but she couldn't hear him.

she tugged out her earphones and tapped him on his shoulder, "could you please not tell chris about this"

he just looked at her, he looked down to see the vape in her palm. he had no clue she was doing this. she looked like she had never touched one in her life. innocent.

looks can be deceiving.

»»--⍟--««