◆ nine

A/n: thank my girlfriend (real) for writing this chapter bc im a lazy hoe, creds: Elambz

maeve explained that someone tried to kiss her, but she pushed him away. she didnt want to bring it up because chris wouldn't believe her - he would think she lied. if she didn't, why wouldn't she bring it up sooner? why would she just keep it to herself?

but matt knew differently - he had saw them at the party flirting.

two months ago:

the party was crowded, every single room was full of people. the friends had arrived as a group but that was ages ago, and they had all split up. matt had been spending time with his friends from lacrosse when he decided to go and find his brothers. 

actually, he was going to find nick, because he knew chris would be with maeve, and he really couldn't be bothered to deal with her. after the jacket incident, he had decided he didn't want to spend any time with that girl anymore. 

he hated maeve. he hated that she kept secrets from his brother.

but he also liked maeve and he liked that, for some reason, he was the one who knew all of her secrets.

she just confused him, and he didn't want to feel like that anymore.

he couldn't find anybody downstairs and so he made his way upstairs. he looked in a few of the rooms but couldn't find his brothers and sighed heavily. he was about to go back down when he heard a girl yelling in one of the bedrooms at the end of the hall. he thought to ignore it, but when the girl seemed to get louder, he knew he couldn't.

matt pushed open the bedroom door. a girl was up against a wall, her eyes were squeezed shut tightly and she was holding her head high. a boy was pressed up against her, trying to kiss her and his hand was beginning to creep around her waist.

he didn't even need to think before he was rushing to the girl's aid, pulling the guy away roughly and shoving him.

''she doesn't want it, asshole!''

''then maybe she shouldn't be such a tease!''

''get out of here or i'll kick your ass in front of everybody.'' matt warned.

the guy could tell matt was serious. he looked at him for a moment, and then smirked at the girl. ''until next time, maeve.''

matt felt his heart drop to the bottom of his stomach as the guy left the room. matt turned to see his brothers girlfriend. she was looking at the floor, pulling her shirt strap back over her shoulder. her eyes were cloudy with tears, and she sniffed.

''what the fuck, maeve?!'' he yelled.

''matt-''

''are you okay?''

she was quiet for a moment and then began to sob. ''he was going to-''

matt was supposed to be avoiding the girl but now, seeing her cry, he couldn't. he wrapped her into a hug tightly, her putting her arms around his waist and resting her head on his shoulder. he held her for a few moments before sighing heavily.

''why are you even up here with a guy?''

''i was talking to him downstairs and he was so nice...he said he had a spare vape and i could have it.'' she admitted through sobs. 

''you're an idiot, maeve.'' he said gently. ''did he do anything to you?''

''he just kissed me. you saved me before anything else happened.''