Chapter 10

Nestled at the foot of the western mountain range was the druids' grove. The surrounding area was home to a wide variety of plants and animals who thrived in those lands, supported by the healing magic to the druids who regularly channeled the ambient energies into the earth. Not only that, but they carefully maintained the balance between the various creatures that lived there, helping to support the natural ecosystem. They were the custodians, whose greatest duty an honour was to serve the earth. For that reason, their reputation for isolationist ideals and hostility toward outsiders was not entirely unearned. They believed that the popular cultures of the common races was set on a course of destruction, that threatened to eventually snuff out all places of natural divinity. They were not wrong.

Very few knew exactly where the grove was located. It was a closely guarded secret, and magic was a grand tool in ensuring secrecy. Anyone who did not know exactly what they were looking for would get turned around by the subtle influences of the energies that surrounded them. A deer might leap from the underbrush and draw a traveller away. Birds might sing from some place in the distance. Dark shadows and thorny brambles may appear on the path to dissuade the unwelcome. All were illusions. Very good ones.

Elise had been to the grove once before. It had taken a great deal of negotiation, and it had not been her who was originally intended to go there. Discussions between the rebels and the grove had involved old Corden wishing to speak directly to those who were supporting him, but Legom had a hard time convincing the elders to let him in. At least, that was what the druid Legom had claimed. Elise suspected that it was not the whole truth. Legom's cats did not like Corden. However, they did like Elise. When she had gone there, she had been given a hint on how to return should she ever need it. She certainly needed it now.

Hunting was prohibited in these areas. Though it may have been tempting for Sniffles, who had never seen so many wild animals that were seemingly unafraid of people, his mother had made sure to inform him that trying to kill anything they see would have dire consequences for their mission. They would need the druids help, and they would get nothing if they violated their customs. If the herd was too big, then maybe he could get permission to go hunting, but he would need the blessing of the archdruid to do so.

Even those who had no natural sense for magic could feel something in that place. It was as if the air itself was lighter, and the ground softer. The druids called that place the Sanctuary of Green. Not particularly original, but it was apt at describing how it felt to be there. It reminded Elise of the myths her father had told her during the brief time that he had been a part of her life. The old elven tales of the old world, where there were thousands of god-spirits and all life drew from limitless magical energy. She couldn't remember much of the stories, but they had enthralled her young mind. It ha made things all the harder when her father one day stopped visiting her, and she was left all alone.

Out of the brush leapt a large wild-patterned puma. The horses stopped in their tracks and stumbled back but were not as startled as one might expect. The massive cat's tail flicked, and it raised its head to the riders. If it had wanted to attack them, it would have done so already. Wise eyes regarded the group of travellers, looking for a clue as to their purpose so it might determine if they were worthy of passage. Since they had travelled so far into the druid's territory without being turned around, it was clear that the puma was already aware that they were seeking the druids.

"We're looking for Legom!" Elise called out. "He knows me and my son. Elise and Samson."

The big cat bobbed its head slightly, chuffed, then sprinted off into the bushes. Elise held up her hand and looked to the others, indicating that they were to stay-put. If they were to be accepted into the grove itself, then they would have to wait to be escorted any deeper. They would not have to wait long.