Chapter 36

It was coming on dawn when they reached the border, one knight in the lead, another at the rear, and an accompaniment of guards. Samson wondered what was happening back at the city, if it was already finished or was still ongoing. If when he returned, anyone he knew would still be alive. He was well beyond the point of fear or misery, and in not knowing he had grown numb.

"We're not far from town. We will stop to rest before continuing on to the Bertille Estate," explained the knight at the front.

Samson ignored them. He didn't care where they were going or what they were doing. Waiting to know what the outcome of the battle would be was excruciating. Riding with the more talkative of the knights, Poppy looked back at the boy. She couldn't find it in herself to try to understand what he was feeling, but she knew it wasn't good. Feelings were never something she was good with, but that didn't mean she didn't know what was good and what was bad.

"Everything will turn out alright," she offered. "After everything that has happened, we have made it this far. Doesn't it kind of feel like there is something out there that won't let us fail? If anyone is going to survive, it's us and the Boss."

It was a little too optimistic and theological for Samson's liking. Never had his mother forced him to be atheistic, and he did believe in the gods, but he felt it was a bit foolish to put such absolute faith in them. As much as he hated to say he agreed with the man in any capacity, the way Hereskel put it was perhaps the most applicable for how it all felt to him. No one should claim to know the will of the gods. Though he had different reasons for sharing that view. The gods were beings so much more complex than any mortal could ever hope to understand. They did not think in the same dimensions as those who existed on the planes of earth, dark sea, Hel's domain or any other physical world. Their senses were vastly expanded, and their minds expansive. Will was probably not even a concept for them, as it suggested linearity. To have a will was to desire an outcome. Was it even possible for the gods to see time as linear?

The stone road they traveled on was well worn, and as the sun rose, they would soon start to see caravans traveling from Charolais. These caravans would need to be warned about the ongoing siege, as they likely will have not been informed. Birds had not been sent to the duchy as it was never a good idea to let those on your border know that your kingdom is vulnerable, but word of mouth alone meant the message would take days to reach the duke.

"Have you ever been to Charolais, your highness?" asked one of the soldiers.

Samson shook his head. "I lived among the poor and for most of my life. I have never traveled for pleasure," he responded bitterly, taking every opportunity to make his disapproval of the monarchy and being considered a part of it well known.

Nervously, the guard cleared her throat. "Well," she continued "It's still spring, so it should still be quite beautiful this time of year. It is a little warmer than Stotten, and some regions are known for having quite impressive flower fields and vineyards. Perhaps while at the Bertille Estate you might try some of the wine."

The boy only grunted in response, feeling like it was disrespectful to speak so casually when their loved ones were fighting for their lives. Still, he was a little curious. "Stotten," he mumbled, "is that where we are from?"

The question shocked the guard into silence. To think their prince did not even know the name of the land he would one day inherit. Surely that alone would be enough for the crown's men to question their leadership. If the king could not even ensure that his own son knew something so basic. It was a partial lie. Cadogan, who walked silently with the guards, had already taught him the name of the kingdom and its surroundings. Though until he had stated receiving lessons at the castle, Samson truly had no clue. Other places had been so irrelevant, while trying to fix the problems with their own land.