Chapter 21

Magic was typically seen as a gift of the wealthy and the fortunate. Since only a fraction of the population could use magic without expensive magical items, their talents were greatly sought after. If they were not already from a wealthy family that selectively bred for magical potential, they soon would be. Either they would marry into one such family, or they would start their own, being paid generously by barons and lords to provide services that no one else could. Then there were the academics, whose work involved unraveling the mysteries of the arcane and otherworldly. To be magically gifted was seen as a sign of great fortune.

That's why Elise felt it was so ironic when they discovered that she had somehow developed the potential to become a mage.

They would start with the basics, and not explore much further than that. Apparently, there were eight major schools of magic, with four styles. Not to mention that some spells were a combination of at least two different schools of magic, and there were also countless different methods of casting. Since these classifications were more for the study of magic, rather than the practice of it, Elise wouldn't need to really understand them. Over time she might come to recognise the difference between them, but for now they needed to keep it simple.

As an adult, it would be a lot more difficult for Elise to learn. Though all known magic users in the past had potential since birth, it wasn't uncommon for those born to poorer families to only begin learning after reaching adulthood. This was especially true if they were what were classes as intellectual casters, as apposed to intuitive casters like Rellane. That wasn't to say that intellectual casters didn't have talent or hat intuitive casters weren't intelligent, it was more to do with how they related to magic. Intuitive casters learned magic by feeling it, while intellectual casters leaned magic through study. Since Elise hadn't used any magic, accidental or otherwise, it would be reasonable to assume that she would be an intellectual caster. Intuitives usually cast their first spell by mistake, as soon as they have access to enough magical energy to do so.

Intuitive casters couldn't teach intellectual casters because they were never taught themselves. Intellectual casters couldn't teach intuitive casters because they didn't know how to help guide them to the right feelings. This was why Rell couldn't teach Elise, but Pollus could.

The basis of casting spells was simple. Before anything, a mage must be able to feel the flow of energy through their own body. To this end, whenever they took breaks on their journey to the capital they would practice. The method was very similar to the test to determine if someone had magical potential. Elise and Pollus would sit on the ground somewhere quiet, legs crossed and facing each other. Elise would close her eyes and rest the back of her hands on her knees, while the elf rested his fingers on her palms. Of course, the movement of magic through her body would be different. They already knew because of the tether that magic would not work on her body itself, but it would still move though it, being absorbed by the tether instead of affecting her.

Deep, slow breaths. If she felt her focus slipping, she was allowed to let her mind wander for a little while. It was important not to force it. Doing so might make it harder than before to feel the flow. Ideally, she would become more familiar with how magic felt, and eventually be able to track its path from the palm of her hands until it was absorbed by the tether. Then, once she has found the tether, she was to explore it.

Theoretically, it should be possible for energy to flow both ways though the tether. Unless it was specifically designed to be unidirectional, which Pollus doubted, then with enough practice Elise should be able to use the energy stored on the other side to cast magic. While doing so, the flow of energy would be outward, meaning she should be able to cast a healing spell on herself without the magic being absorbed by the tether.