Chapter 24

The wait in line was agonizing. Order was enforced by the guards, who prevented cutting in or shoving. Without them, it would have been a nightmare. At least waiting meant that there was a little time for Pollus to explain a little more about how holy magic work. Specifically, how to use it. They would have to find some proper textbooks later, but in case of an emergency it would be a good idea for her to know the basics.

It was generally seen as inappropriate to practice magic in crowded public places, so that was out of the question. Holy magic without a patron was difficult to learn and required a lot of time and practice, so that was out of the question. Just in case something did happen however, and there was no choice, he explained the process for projection. That was, how a cleric might project their plea for help and gain the attention of something that might be willing to help them.

In some cases, it was entirely reasonable for a cleric to ask for help from a deity other than their patron. Certain criteria had to be met. The deity in question could not be directly opposed to their patron, and it had to be something that their patron could not help them with. It also had to be an emergency. Powerful beings did not grant favours at random. In the case of Elise, who did not have a patron, it only had to be an emergency, but there was a high chance of whatever helps her demanding that she worships them in exchange for their aid. Typically, it was much safer to pray to a specific deity, but since Elise was disinterested in religious faith, she didn't want to do that. Nor would she have even known what so-called gods there was to pray to.

People of all classes stood in line, brushing against each other, and trying not to glare at their temporary neighbors. All of them had something they wanted to king to hear. Something they wanted changed or something they felt he ought to know. In most cases, they either wanted to prove their influence by causing action or wished for their efforts to be noticed and rewarded. Some were simply desperate and out of options after their many pleas had gone unheard.

"It's a little easier to project since you don't need to do it perfectly. If something is listening or watching, chances are it will notice even if your projection isn't very powerful. Being aware of the flow of magic in your body is the most important part when it comes to succeeding for the first time, and the first time is always the hardest."

"Have you used holy magic before?" Elise inquired.

Uncomfortable with the question, it looked like Pollus was going to run away again. Thankfully, he chose not to avoid the question this time. "I have tried. Nothing holy answered. It's not hard to tell when whatever contacts you is evil. Never tried again after that."

Elise put her hands on her hips and frowned. "So, you don't really know what you are talking about."

Offended, Pollus pointedly looked off somewhere else and let out a long sigh. "I have studied magic in all it's forms. I know well enough what I am talking about."

Elise laughed. For some reason she found it quite amusing when she could force some kind of true emotional response from him. If she wasn't careful, she might end up making a game of it. "Well, I don't know enough to assert any kind of opinion on that I suppose. We'll see what happens when I eventually try something. Though I hope I don't have to."

Slowly, they progressed up the hill, passing though the gate that stood between the inner and middle city and finally seeing the castle itself up ahead. Its design was a mixture of intricate and utilitarian, as there were sections which had been added on years after its initial grand construction. Originally, it was little more than a military fortress. That had been over a century ago. Since then, it became repurposed as a noble's estate, and then eventually a city formed around it. Then the old kingdom split, as an old king left different portions of land to his three sons. After the passing of their parents, they declared war upon each other and split off into different nations. As this city prospered and became grander than the formal capital, eventually the brother who owned it won the wars against his siblings and claimed their lands, reforming the kingdom.