Chapter 28

There was little point meeting with the others for afternoon tea. Elise wouldn't be able to talk to them about anything that she wanted to speak to them about, since there would be at least one attendant with them at any given time. Choosing to take the meal in her room so she could think, it wouldn't be until before the meeting with Hereskel that she would see the others again.

The attendants gathered them before the meeting room, waiting for the king to be ready to speak with them. They were all dressed in fresh garments, and no longer looked out of place within the castle. Elsie had been given the dress of a professional. It lacked the frills and layering of showy outfits, opting for a long and straight silhouette. Heavy duty fabrics hung heavily off her hips and shoulders, hidden under softer, more elegant weaves. It was not something that would be worn by a courtesan, but a royal consultant.

Samson looked uncomfortable in his new clothes. By appearance alone, they were less practical, making him look the part of a visiting noble. Expensive, dark fabrics lined with purple and gold. He was perhaps the one among them whose new outfit differed the most from their usual attire. The least changed was Legom. It would be difficult to come up with a cover story for a druid to be on the premises, so rather than trying to dress him affluently, he more closely resembled a grounds keeper or something similar.

Elise was a little curious as to who among them had accepted the pampering from their attendants. She doubted that Samson or Legom would have. Legom had clearly allowed them to trim and tidy his beard, but beyond that she suspected that the two of them would have cleaned themselves. As for Rell, she probably would have enjoyed being treated like nobility. Her hair had been styled, with a few braids seamlessly woven into an elegant updo. As for the mage, Elise simply had no idea. It was finally dawning on her that despite being with him almost constantly since the first attempt on her life, she knew very little about him. What motivated him, what his opinions were, how he saw the world, were all complete mysteries. All she knew was that he had gone out of his way to help them, that he didn't like talking about himself, and that he had a lot of explaining to do.

"You weren't at tea," Rell commented. She looked from Elise to Pollus, and then back to Elise. "Neither of you were."

Elise had to make an effort not to roll her eyes. It seemed that the young woman was trying to entertain herself, or simply was a little too interested in the personal lives of others. "It would have been awkward. I don't know what to say when I don't have all the information, so I chose to eat alone."

Rell seemed a little disappointed. Elise couldn't get mad at her. She was simply too innocent. Unscarred, and as such lacking the same general seriousness of the others. Dressed in fine skirts, covered by a robe of purple velvet which was delicately embroidered, she came across as the very image of a youthful royal mage's apprentice. There was little acting needed. Rell was perfectly energetic and intelligent to fit that role perfectly. She must have been having fun. Elise wondered at what point the true gravity of current events would become known to her.

Nervous, Samson stuck with Legom and the cats, seeking comfort in the genuine care and affection of the animals. It was difficult to tell if speaking to him beforehand about Hereskel's claims would be a good idea or not. She didn't want to take away from a single second of respite he might find. If he knew before the king told him, it could soften the blow. It could also make it worse, because he may be more liable to take it seriously if it came from his mother first. Before she could make that choice, the male servant Cadogan opened the doors and emerged from the meeting chamber. With a bow, he addressed the group.

"His highness is ready to see you now."

The heavy wooden doors were held open for them. When nobody else moved, Elise was forced to take the first step and led them into the chamber.