💥 Chapter Six: A conflict in class 💥

Jasper felt her eyelashes droop dangerously close to the bottom of her eyelids. She rubbed at them, stifling a yawn.

Jasper did not fall asleep until later that night. One video game turned into another. Then another. Then a rematch was needed.

Peridot was the most tired, and retired early. Onyx also followed suit. Jasper and Auburn played a few more games, trying to keep the noise down as their teammates slept.

Jasper realized now she should have gone to sleep when Peridot and Onyx did.

The next morning, Jasper watched from her top bunk as Auburn happily bounced around, getting ready. He flashed a dazzling smile at Jasper before heading out to his class.

She could still feel his chipper attitude in her being.

I don't know how he does it. Jasper thought. She covered her mouth with her hand as she yawned again.

Jasper tried to sit up straighter in her chair, but she felt her shoulders begin to slouch.

Again, her eyelids threatened to block out her vision of the board of tactical strategies that Dr. Jack Pumpkinhead was teaching, their voice droning on and on in Jasper's ears.

Unable to combat her fatigue, Jasper lowered her head between her arms. She covered her face with her arms, settling her face onto them.

The warmth of the classroom, and the silence was welcomed as she started to doze.

"I say, Ms. Polendina, are we boring you?"

Jasper jolted awake, eyes wide. Around her, her classmates started to laugh.

Jasper looked around sheepishly, then caught the sight of Onyx glaring at her with those serious pink flecked eyes.

Dr. Pumpkinhead spoke up again, "What were we doing so late at night that you slept through Combat Class?"

Jasper put her two finger tips together and said, "I was playing video games late last night with my teammates, Dr. Pumpkinhead."

Dr. Pumpkinhead shook his head and walked over to the board, "Well, maybe that would fly in some other academy, but this is Sanctuary Academy. Please take care of yourselves with plenty of rest so you do not fall asleep in class."

He stood next to the board and asked the class, "Now, who would like to demonstrate what was discussed? This will be with your teammate against another team that I have found quite," he paused, searching quickly for a word before settling up, "intriguing."

Jasper watched from the corner of her eye as Onyx's hand shot straight up in the air.

Dr. Pumpkinhead nodded, "Excellent. Grab your weapons and come down to the floor."

🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️

Standing in the center of the class, Jasper gripped her weapon, a pink and white scythe named Crescent Blossom. She noticed Onyx had her hands on her bow, and her colorful, Dust filled arrows were in a quiver on her back.

Two females came and stood a few feet away from Jasper and Onyx.

One of them, with an white and orange yellow lined dress, with orange decals over top, titled their head towards Jasper and raised her eyebrows questioningly. Her green eyes were a bit narrowed, as if speculating something about Jasper.

Jasper gave a gulp and looked at the other female. She was a bit taller than the other one, with lavender colored hair and green eyes. She had on a simple white dress with a brown corset in the middle. She had white stockings with brown boots with pink laces. She smiled warmly at Jasper.