⚔️ Chapter Seven: Mission (Part one) ⚔️

Jasper Polendina, Auburn Ren, Peridot Zaiden, and Onyx Ren walked through the crowd of students to get to the large mission boards waiting at the front of the auditorium.

Headmaster Oscar Pines stood in the center of the large boards, in front of a shiny microphone. He cleared his throat, and spoke into the mic, "Good morning students. Today your professors and I will be assigning your first infield missions. These were selected by the council and I, where towns and villages are in need of assistance from the aftermath of the War. Tasks can include helping with the injured, getting or moving supplies, or helping construct buildings. Most importantly, please keep an eye out for the people's safety, as there may be predators still lurking about. That is all from me. Please approach the mission board for your assignments."

Jasper tried to stop herself from bouncing up and down with glee, "I'm so excited! I could hardly sleep a wink last night."

"Yeah, I know. I heard you tossing and turning." Onyx grumbled.

Auburn gave a laugh, "I'm excited too! Let's head over to the mission board and see what the assignments are."

Jasper and her team approached a large blue screen. The white boxes and lettering indicated various missions, from helping rebuild shops and houses, to patrolling larger areas outside the city limits.

"Those last ones are definitely for the seniors." Peridot said, nodding to the description that Jasper had skimmed over.

Jasper let out a sigh and went over to a smaller board that was labeled "FRESHMAN ASSIGNMENTS" written at the top, "I guess this is where we go."

Jasper noticed a few of the boxes had giant black "X's" marked off, meaning that they were taken by the other freshman teams.

Jasper saw one that caught her attention:

OAKHEART VILLAGE

Team needed to assist with moving lumber from fallen buildings. Assistance needed with town folk moving items from homes and discarding any rubble. A lookout would also be appreciated as we complete our tasks.

— Elon Oakheart

Jasper pointed up at the screen, "What do you all think about this one? It seems there is a job there that each one of us could help with."

Auburn scanned it quickly then gave a thumbs up, "I'm in!"

Peridot nodded, "You have my support Jasper. Plus, if my teammate is in, then I have to go."

Jasper and Auburn chuckled, and they all turned to look at Onyx.

Onyx shuffled her feet and looked down, "Yeah, I mean I guess we could go there." She looked up shyly at Jasper, "You have my support and trust too. It is something we will both need on the battlefield."

Jasper smiled and nodded. Turning back to the board, she pressed the ACCEPT button and the box crossed off with a giant black "X."

A ping was heard on each of their Scrolls. Jasper took hers out and stared at the information on where to report and when.

Jasper cleared her throat and announced to her team, "We have our mission. We will leave first thing tomorrow!"

🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️

A dirt road was speckled with whatever sunlight managed to escape through the oak trees leaves. The sound of trilling cicadas was heard through the heavy, hot air.

Jasper wiped a bead of sweat off the top of her lip as her and her team reached the end of the path.

A tall man wearing brown pants, a long sleeve white tunic, brown belt, and brown vest and brown arm bracers, stood. In his hands was an orange hard hat with a screen divider.