Chapter 8- Questions

Axel’s POV:

Cafeteria food sucked. It was bland, mushy, and tasteless. I definitely needed to talk to Sean about the caliber of the food he was allowing to be served here. If I was going to be a patient here, fed this, I’d choose to go another hospital cause the food here sucks. Even if I was bleeding out and this was the closest hospital, I’d still go elsewhere.

I was the definition of the statement ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’

To me, a lot of things were decided by how good the food was.

How well the date went.

Whether I’d come back to a city.

Where I lived.

I was ruled by my stomach and had no issue with that.

The hospital had only been opened for just over a year, and none of us had been injured enough yet to provoke a long-term stay. So, I was the first of our group to try out the cafeteria, and Sean was definitely going to hear all about it. I headed back in the direction of Sean’s office, patting my empty stomach sadly.

Maybe he had a muesli bar or something in one of his drawers.

One of the nurses stopped me just before I reached Sean’s office and I mentally groaned, preparing for another speech about sewing myself up, and how unhygienic that was. I knew what I was doing. Most of the time that is.

She looked me up and down with pursed lips, obviously recognizing me from before. Her eyes paused momentarily on my bloodied sleeve before she huffed and began to talk.

“Dr Green had an emergency case call in. He’s up in the private wing.”
She looked up as footsteps approached us.

“Ah look, here’s the interns now. He must be finished treating the case now. I’m sure you’ll be able to catch him now.”

I thanked her and nodded in the direction of the interns before beginning the trek up towards the private wing. We hadn’t really used it before, as the missions we had taken on lately had been rather tame, but I guess our risk prone group was like a ticking time bomb with duration till injury. It was always only a matter of time.

As I got closer to the wing, I began to wonder who would lay in the bed beyond those big white doors. Would it be Brandon having injured himself while fixing a car again? Or would it be Nathan having torn another muscle while exercising? Or perhaps it was Kota? He did have a habit of injuring himself while saving damsels in distress.

The whole team was too noble for their own good at times.

Just as I pushed the door open, something came flying at me and I caught it on reflex. It was round and plastic, filled with liquid and chunks of mush. Huh. A fruit cup. I laughed.

“ It’s raining fruit cups today is it?”

I stepped into the room and closed the door behind me.

The room was silent.

I was taken aback to notice a woman in the bed, with a large pregnant belly. Definitely not what I was expecting.

I bowed slightly in her direction.

“Good afternoon milady. I’m Axel. Excuse the interruption. I was looking for Sean over there.”

Sean moved from being near the bed and walked towards me.

The woman on the bed took another mouthful of something from her tray.

I stepped closer, curious.

“Now that looks good. Where’d ya get that?”

She smiled and gestured at North.

Damn that smile could knock out teeth.

“North huh.”

I turned to face him, hopeful.

“You got anymore? The cafeteria food is disgusting. Sean you’ve got to look into that slop. I bet it’s making your patients worse not better.”

************************************
Sang’s POV

The room was neat. A large window above my head looking out onto the city. Pictures of forests and dark soothing green paint decorated the walls, creating a peaceful atmosphere. There was even a mural of the night sky on the ceiling. This was a room only dreams could come up with. I felt so comfortable here.

It was strange that I had settled so much when the people in the room were virtual strangers to me.

I somewhat knew Raven and North, but we had only met this morning, so it was strange that we had dare I say bonded, quite so fast.

They looked intimidating. Tattoos, broad shoulders, and grumpy expressions. But they had been nothing but supported by the sounds of things. Where I came from, people would step over someone who had fainted like a log on a Forrest path and continue on with their day. No-one would care and it would be up to that person to get themselves help. If not, the graveyard would gain another occupant. It was a cruel world out there and I’d come from a dog-eat-dog childhood, so it was rare to experience such care from total strangers.

Some people here were just a different breed. Not all of them given the creepy man at my accommodation. Just some. And for that I was grateful. This baby might not have been made from love, but I had grown to love it and I was determined to give it a good life. I was going to start another chapter in my life. Sang the mother. It sounded scary, but I was ready to give it a go. I just had to hope that no more complications occurred.

I took another bite of the soup, savoring the warmth and flavors. It was so calming I almost forgot my worries about affording this hospital stay. Almost. I was about to discuss ways for me to start paying back my stay, when Axel dragged the other chair to sit on the other side of me, a large bowl of soup with some bread on the side in his hands.

He took a large mouthful, and I noticed a section of his sleeve was suspiciously red. What was that? Before I could get a better look, he ripped off a piece of bread and then stared at me, his mouth hurriedly chewing.

“What’s your cute butt doing here?”

***********************************

Comments?

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Owen will appear in the next chapter, so after him, which boy should be next? I’m happy to include any of the boys next.
Majority votes will win.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter dump, and I've got no clue when the next one will be.

Thanks for reading.

Words- 1100