Origins of the Maid Café

Y/n pov.

I held back a surprised stammer. Did I hear her right? I chuckled gently, and a bit awkwardly hoping that maybe I misheard her and the immediate image of me wearing something so embarrassingly cute in front of people had no legs to stand on and hunt me down. "A....Maid outfit?" I repeated for clarification, praying that my head wasn't just messing with me and if I should return to the nurse and confirm that I definitely had a concussion.

Amai-Senpai hummed cheerfully and nodded. She swiped the top paper from a stack that sat on the counter and happily held it out in front of her to make sure I could see it. It was a flyer with a cutely designed sketch of a café. "We're going to be opening a maid café in one of the store fronts across the street from here, we plan to open on the morning of the club rush." Amai explained.

What an elaborate way to recruit more members. Did the club have that big of a budget to temporarily rent a storefront? Impressive... if only it didn't sound like this was a legitimate cafe opening and not a one-time or seasonal event pulled by the club. Hesitantly, I asked. "You're opening an... actual maid café? Like a legitimate establishment?"

Without skipping a beat, Amai-Senpai nodded. Her eyes practically lit up at the mention of truly running a café. "Yep! The school gave us the remaining twenty percent needed to purchase the property, so long as we raised enough for the rest as well as the basic necessities such as tables, ingredients, equipment, and whatnot. And for the outfit, many of our members immediately jumped at the opportunity to make the uniform themselves... which resulted in us becoming a maid café suddenly... For the record, I think you'd look rather nice in either uniform!" She smiled so genuinely that I almost felt like apologizing, the barely controlled glee in her eyes encouraging me to agree with her enthusiasm. I'll be damned but it's working.

"Thanks, I think you'd look pretty good too. The school approved of this? Sounds hard to believe." I remarked, honestly, I was a little surprised that the school basically gave them a loan for this; something tells me our headmaster was not the one to work things out with them judging by what I've heard about him the last few days- it's been about three days now and I have not heard any good things about him.

Thoughtfully, Amai tapped the pen in her hand against her cheek. "Originally, the headmaster had completely rejected the idea-" the three-day streak remains unbroken. "Then we went to Kunahito -Sensei on how we could convince him, she approved of the idea especially since students could gain work experience then she talked to the headmaster, and we finally got approval last week!" She explained, putting the clipboard I had signed down as well as the flyer she had just picked up.

The school's only counselor for the win once again. I walked closer to the counter and scanned the flier once more. "Well... how's preparation then? Would you like help with the fliers?" I was unsure what else to add.

Amai smiled and grabbed a large roll of clear tape. "Yes, please! I normally ask the sport clubs for help but they're also busy with their own projects, I only have two members here helping... which they should be back by now." She trailed off while glancing towards the doorway as if expecting those members to appear in a cloud of smoke, her expression reflected her concern. After the events of today, I wasn't surprised, the amount of students who had to excuse themselves from extracurriculars because of today to go home early would be enough to establish the high concerns of safety going around since the start of this week. Amai, shook her head gently, as if shaking off her nerves, and handed me the roll of tape. "We're practically all set up! We're just waiting for some minor things to be delivered so we can move them in, and also the finishing touches of the uniforms for everyone. Which you still hadn't answered my question from earlier."