IChapter Six HARD DECISIONS

Picture above Hunter's bedroom at the mansion.

Hunter's POV............

There were shocked gasps from my parents and brother. As I looked at them their faces ran the entire gauntlet of human emotions. From surprise, to incredulity, to disappointment and especially in my brother's case anger.

Thorne opened his mouth to say something, but I held up my hand to stall him. "I know what you're all thinking. That I must be crazy!! That after searching and waiting for centuries, I have finally been granted my true mate and I am willing to just let him go."

I paused to take a breath to control the anger and rage that was threatening to overwhelm me. If I don't get myself under control I will phase and that will only spell disaster for everyone. My wolf is practically tearing me apart inside in an effort to get out. He is not in accordance with my decision. After barely managing to restrain my wolf I said to my family " If I accept Cameron as my true mate and mate with him, it will cause a war that will throw the entire werewolf and the supernatural world into chaos once more. I cannot allow that to happen, not again, not after all the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into achieving the peace that we now enjoy. Not after all the wolves that have given their lives to ensure that peace."

"Bethany's people will not take lightly to my rejecting her after I have given my word and also signed the marriage contract. They will see it as a personal affront. They have many allies in the supernatural community, not just amongst wolves. Sides will be taken. They will not think twice about trying to assassinate Cameron. I will have no choice but to view such an act as treasonous against the crown and declare them rouges, sentencing them to death."

"Cameron will be the one placed at the very center of the conflict. His life will constantly be in danger. I cannot allow that to happen either. It is better that I don't claim him. That he never knows what he is to me."

I watched as understanding dawned on my parents face. My mother's eyes filled with tears as realization of what I am giving up sank in. That I will never have what she and my father have together, a true mate bond.

My father and brother looked on at me with respect in their eyes and love, nodding their heads as a sign that they will stand by my decision. All three of them walked over to me and enveloped me in a group hug that threatened to break what little composure I had left. Inside of me my wolf was howling mournfully as our heart broke at the terrible loss that I was subjecting us to.

But I have made my decision and I will stick by it, even if it killed me, and it just might. The safety and well being of my mate was paramount to the choice that I have made. I will not do anything to put him in danger.

I disengaged from my family saying to Thorne, "I think you should call off the pool party. Cameron will sleep for a while and when he wakes I would like to spend just a little time with him." He nodded his understanding and ascent and turned to leave the room, "oh and Thorne not a word about this to anyone. No one can know what Cameron means to mean, ok"

Thorne stared at me for a moment before replying. "You are my brother and Cameron is now not just my friend but your mate. I will do anything and everything to protect him. So don't worry, this information does not leave this room. It stays between us, it stays within the family." He looked over first at our parents then over to me, his eyes glistening with unshed tears. The tears weren't for himself, they were for me and what I am giving up.

We all nodded at each, meeting each other's eyes in a silent vow to protect my mate at all costs. Thorne then left the room closing the door softly behind him. My parents followed soon after, but not before giving me one last reassuring hug and kissing my cheeks.