Chapter Eight THE CABIN

Picture above Hawkthorne Private Cabin.....

THIRD PERSON POV....

Thorne gathered a desperately sobbing Cameron in his arms as he clung to him, and lifted him up. Thorne cradled Cameron to his chest like a fragile babe, cooing at him soothingly. Thorne then swiftly carried Cameron out of the mansion, thankful that he didn't run into any of the servants, human or wolf. The less people that knew about Cameron and Hunter, the better.

Exiting through the mansion's front door, Thorne saw his parents waiting for him, standing by his car. He had mind linked them and asked them to bring it around to the front of the mansion. The look on their faces mirrored what he himself was feeling inside. Pain, hurt and helplessness. He didn't need to mind link Hunter to know that he was just as devastated as Cameron and suffering just as much as he was, maybe even more so.

As Thorne walked towards his parents, Thorne's father opened the car door for him and he gently placed Cameron in the passenger seat and closed the door. Cameron was out of it. Completely lost in the misery and pain that he was feeling. Barely aware of his surroundings or what was going on. Not that he cared anyway. He hurt too much. The pain was actually a physical ache in his chest. Cameron clutched at his chest desperately as he whimpered in pain and sobbed uncontrollably.

Thorne and his parents embraced each other, as a broken sob erupting out of his mother's throat. "Please take care of him," she sobbed out into Thorne's neck. "He is already very precious to us and to your brother he means the world. Even if he is insisting on not claiming him."

"I will," Thorne reassured her pulling away from their embrace to look into her face. "I'm gonna take him up to the cabin for awhile. I cannot take him home like this. His parents are going to ask questions. Questions that I'm not prepared to answer." "That seems like a good idea," his father replied. "We'll cover for you with his parents and with school ok." Thorne nodded in agreement. "Thanks. I'll let you know when he's ready to come back, alright. Take care of Hunter until I return."

Thorne got in car and before driving off he looked over at Cameron worriedly. Cameron had cried himself into a fitful sleep. His body finally succumbing to both the physical exhaustion from the previous night and the emotional turmoil of the morning. However from what Thorne could see he found no peace in sleep. Every now and then Cameron would emit a pained whimper while calling out Hunter's name. Thorne put the car in gear and drove off sighing, wondering what to do to try and ease the heartache that his friend and brother were both going through.

Hunter's POV......

I stood there in my closet, body rigid, fists clenched, jaw tensed as I forced myself to stay put, to stay still and not go running after Cameron, my true mate.

My wolf raged and ripped at me, demanding that I take action, demanding that I go after him. But I stood resolute. This was for the best. Or so I kept telling myself. I don't know how long I just stood there, not moving, barely breathing. Suddenly my wolf broke free from the leash that I had placed on him, my eyes flashed golden as he came to the surface and took over my body. Before I could do anything, before I could even try and restrain him and place him back under control, he was moving and moving fast.

Before I knew it we were downstairs, just in time to see my parents walking through the front doors of the mansion and heading towards the front sitting room. Both looking dejected and filled with sorrow. A low rumbling growl emitted from my chest and they both turned in my direction, looking startled. As their eyes made contact with my wolf's, their expressions changed to one of wariness.

"Hunter," my father said, taking a hesitant step forward. My wolf growled and snarled at him. "Where is my mate?" Ares, my wolf growled out. My parents looked at each other, concern marring their faces. My mother looked back at me, opened her mouth and said, "Thorne took him up to the cabin. Cameron was in no shape to go home." Ares didn't wait around for her to say anything else. Before they could blink Ares was out the mansion's front doors and leaping into the air I phased on the fly. Landing on my massive paws, my claws dug deep grooves into the ground beneath us, Ares took off at lightening speed. On two legs we were fast, on four we were unstoppable.

I am a massive black wolf, my fur a pure jet black. So black that it shone blue highlights when hit by the sun directly. I was the biggest, baddest, most powerful werewolf there is. I felt Ares, as he tapped into the power within us. Whether in human or wolf form I had access to my powers. I am an elemental wolf. But I was more than that, not only can I control the elements of the earth, but I can speak to the earth itself, move through the forest like a whisper, going completely undetected, I can speak to the ether, I can manipulate time and space it self. As the power gathered and surged within me, my wolf started to glow entirely as blue flames erupted over my form. With this change I seemed to fly through the forest, moving even faster than I was before.

Arriving at the cabin, Ares scented the air. There was no one here. We had gotten here before them. Ares calmed and I pulled back the magic, as I did so I shifted back to human. I quickly entered the cabin and proceeded to take a quick shower and get dressed. The cabin was always well maintained and kept in stock of supplies for whenever one of us decided to use it on the spur of the moment. I was somewhat in control again but I don't know how long that will last. I paced, unable to settle down as I waited for Thorne to arrive with Cameron, my mate.

Third person POV....

As Thorne pulled up in front of the cabin he frowned, it was ablaze with lights. No one was supposed to be up here. He warily got out of the car and scented the air, his eyes widened as recognition and realization dawned on him. Hunter was here.

Thorne sighed, taking a deep breath wondering what to do. Before he could decide on a course of action, the cabin door was yanked open revealing Hunter, standing in the doorway silhouetted by the lights behind him. Both Hunter and Thorne stared at each other for a moment in a silence filled with tension. Each trying to decipher the others expression. It was like a Mexican standoff. Thorne, determined to protect Cameron, even from his own brother and Hunter prepared to annihilate anyone or anything that stood between him and his mate. Hunter could already feel his wolf pushing to the surface, not that Ares had ever completely backed off since they arrived at the cabin.

"What're you doing here Hunter?", Thorne said, breaking the tensed silence. "I need to talk to him" Hunter replied, "bring him inside, I can tell that he is still sleeping."

Thorne sighed in exasperation, but did as Hunter said. Taking Cameron from the car he walked forward and entered the cabin. "Give him to me. I'll take him upstairs to my room and lay him down." Hunter told Thorne, motioning to take Cameron from him. Thorne reluctantly transferred Cameron into Hunter's arms. He stood there and watched as Hunter stared down at Cameron with absolute love and adoration before proceeding upstairs to lay him down.

When Hunter returned downstairs, he found Thorne starring out the window at the pool outside in deep contemplation with his arms folded across his chest. Without turning around to even acknowledge Hunter's reappearance Thorne asked "What are you going to do?"

Hunter heaved a heavy sigh, replying "I don't know."

Whirling around in a sudden blaze of anger Throne faced Hunter, "Well you better figure it out damn fast cause when he wakes up, he's going to want answers." Thorne raged. "He doesn't know or understand why he's feeling this way about you, why the very thought of not being with you feels like a death sentence to him." Thorne took a breath before continuing, "You either tell him the truth and let him decide what to do with the knowledge or you leave now and he will never know that you were here." Thorne finished, staring directly into his brother's eyes.

Hunter stared at Thorne for a moment, digesting what he had just said and the ultimatum that he had given him. He didn't like it, but he understood where Thorne was coming from. After a moment he nodded at Thorne. "Alright. When Cameron wakes up I'll tell him everything.". Thorne nodded at him before walking past him and heading for the door. Hunter turned to follow him, knowing his brother was leaving so that he and Cameron could have some privacy when he woke up.

At the front door Thorne turned to Hunter and said "Please, whatever you do, don't hurt him any more." Staring into his brother's eyes Hunter replied solemnly, "I won't."

Cameron's POV....

I woke up in a strange bed, in a strange room again. I groaned, lifting my head up and looked around me, I didn't recognize anything. I sat up slowly wondering how I got to be here in this room and wondering where here was. Even though I had just woken up, I did not feel rested at all. I felt exhausted and achy. My muscles filled with tension. I groaned and stretched in an effort to release some of the tightness. It didn't seem to help any. I rubbed at the muscles in my neck and shoulders, but nothing worked to ease the ache.

As I got up and made a beeline for a door that I hoped was the bathroom, I felt like I was forgetting something vitally important. But I just couldn't figure out what it was. Thankful that the door that I had selected did indeed lead to the en-suite bathroom, I pushed the nagging thought to the back of my mind. I made my way over to the toilet and gratefully relieved my screaming bladder. After finishing I flushed and then turned to the sink to wash my hands.

I was met with my haggard appearance, which startled me. I looked like hell. With red swollen eyes, blotchy nose and extremely pale skin. My subconscious once again pushed at me to remember, but my conscious thoughts pushed it back. It was like my own mind was refusing to let me remember. I pushed the thoughts away, turned on the tap and proceeded to give my hands and face a thorough wash. Patting my face dry with the towel on the rack, I once again surveyed my appearance. It was somewhat improved. The blotchiness had gone and I no longer looked as pale and the redness of my eyes had diminished somewhat. Shrugging in realization that this was the best that I could do for now I exited the bathroom.

The next door that I selected lead outside of the bedroom, which I was grateful for. As I left the room I wondered at the fact that I wasn't feeling panicked or anxious at being in a house that I didn't recognize, with no recollection of how I go here. Arriving at the bottom of the stairs I heard some sounds coming from my right, like a TV on low volume. I followed the sound and came into a semi-circular room, with almost floor to ceiling glass windows that looked out over a lit pool area. I drew up short, stopping in my tracks, as Hunter turned to face me.

All the blood drained out of me at the memories and the pain that came with them flooded back to me. This is what my subconscious had been protecting me from. The memories of the devastation that he had put me through. I had met him for the first time just barely twenty four hours ago and already he had shattered my heart. I didn't know what gave him that power over me. I didn't understand the deep seated connection that I felt towards him. An irresistible pull, that even now was urging me to run into his arms, telling me that, that is were I belonged.

He looked at me with eyes filled with sorrow, regret and his own pain. "Where am I," I choked out. "What are you doing here?"

"You're at my family cabin up in the mountains. Thorne brought you here. He thought it best not to take you home, considering everything that happened. I came up here to talk to you." Hunter said in a voice tinged with pain and regret.

"Why? Why do you want to talk to me? Didn't you already made up your mind." I raged at him, almost screaming in my anger and hurt. Not realizing that tears were once again running down my cheeks unchecked.

He walked over to me and despite my struggles against him, hitting him and raging at him, he managed to envelop me in his arms. Rocking me and rubbing soothing circles into my back as he cooed at me softly. I once again broke and he allowed me to cry, never once letting go of me.

After awhile my tears subsided and I managed to calm down. I didn't want to move out of his arms though so I just stood there with his arms wrapped around me comfortingly. The both of us silent, afraid to break the silence that had descended in the wake of my tears.

"Do you believe in the supernatural, in things like werewolves and vampires and faeries?" Hunter finally asked, in a hesitant whisper. I frowned, thinking that this was rather a strange question. I thought he wanted to talk about us and what happened.

I pushed against his arms and he reluctantly released me so that I could look up into his face. I looked into his face and realized that he is quite serious. I swallowed the sarcastic reply that was on the tip of my tongue. Instead I said, "Yes. Well kind of. I refuse to believe that humans are the only higher functioning beings on the planet, much less the universe. Why do you ask?"

I watched as my reply seemed to cause Hunter to visibly relax. "I am one of them, one of those supernatural creatures." He stated nervously. Before I could formulate a reply he took my hand and started walking towards the doors that led outside pulling me along with him.

"Don't say anything just yet. Come with me and I'll show you." Hunter said as he pulled me outside, the cabin and we walked around the pool to a large outdoor patio area. I wanted to say something, to protest, to call him crazy, but something in me was stopping me, holding me back. Preventing me from giving voice to my thoughts. I waited. I watched as Hunter stripped of his clothes and bared his magnificent body to me. I couldn't help it. My eyes roamed over him hungrily and I licked my lips.

He smiled at me saying, "Don't be alarmed. I am not going to hurt you. And whatever you do don't run." I nodded at him.

As I stared at Hunter, I watched as the man before me transformed into an extremely massive jet black wolf.

I gasped out in shock and stumbled backwards, tripping and falling on my ass.