Chapter Thirty-Six "TRAITOR"

Moving as slowly as they possibly could, in order to allow Hades to heal Liam as much as possible, before they got back to Cameron, it took Hunter, Rafe and Vlad hours to get back to the hotel where they had left a worried Cameron who had been less than happy about being left behind.

As they entered the hotel room, carrying Liam who was still in his wolf form, Cameron sprang forward to greet them, ready to snatch Liam into his arms. Cameron pulled up short, he wasn't strong enough to lift Liam's wolf Hades. So he settled for wrapping his arms around Hunter, and pressing his body into Hades back. Cameron sobbed in relief at having his son back in his arms.

Hades stirred within Hunter's arms for the first time in hours as the scent of Cameron reached him. He whined, and moved his head, bumping it against Cameron's chest, nuzzling into his father. Cameron moved back and looked down into his emerald green eyes, filled with pain and sorrow. Cameron stroked his hand gently through the fur on top of Hades head. He reached down and kissed him, "it's ok boy. You're finally home. I'm so happy to have you back. You're safe now."

"Come. You both need to rest." Hunter led the way to the bedroom and gently layed Hades down on the bed. Cameron immediately crawled unto the bed and wrapped himself around the young wolf. He had no intention of letting him out of his sight, ever. Cameron began cooing and crooning to Hades soothingly, while continuing the gentle strokes of his hand through the silky midnight black fur. Hunter stood beside the bed and watched them for a moment, his heart bleeding for his son.

Hunter then leaned over and kissed Cameron on the cheek, "if you need anything, Rafe and I are right outside ok." Cameron nodded his head, not taking his eyes off of Hades.

As Hunter re-joined Rafe and Vlad, they turned towards him, "How are they?" Rafe asked, worry clearly evident in his voice. Hunter took a deep calming breath, "they’re resting, for now. Lets just hope we can keep the truth of what really happened to Liam from Cameron."

At this Vlad spoke up, "I don't think that, that is a wise move you too. Keeping secrets from your mate is never a good thing." His voice was grave with experience.

Rafe, his worry and frustration still evident and also his rage said, "We know that dad. Don't you think Hunter and I know that when Cameron does eventually finds out, he's going to hate us for keeping it from him." Rafe gritted out through clenched teeth.

"Then why the hell would you chose to do so?" Vlad was baffled by this.

Before Rafe could respond Hunter blurted out, "Because. Cameron is pregnant."

Vlad stood there, lost for words, "what?"

"Yes. Cameron is pregnant again. We didn't find out until a few weeks after Gerard took Liam. He got sick, nearly had a miscarriage in fact." Hunter said, rubbing his hands over his face, as he recalled the sight of Cameron doubled over in pain in the bathroom, while throwing up. Cameron had been clutching at his stomach. After rushing him to a hospital owned and operated strictly by super naturals, they had discovered that he was pregnant.

"Then why the hell is he here? Why isn't he at home being taken care of by a doctor?" Vlad was livid. He couldn't believe that both Hunter and Rafe had put their pregnant mate in danger.

"Because dad," Rafe began, pre-empting Hunter, "There was no way that Cameron was going to be left behind and the stress of him staying at home and not knowing what was going on would have only complicated the pregnancy even further. It was less stressful on all of us to have him with us. Especially knowing that there was a traitor that we were unable to identify."

Vlad seethed, he spun away from them trying to get his anger under control. Whirling around to face them both once more, he growled out, "Ok, I understand that, but that's my future grandchild that he's carrying and he looks less than in perfect health."

"Grandchildren actually." Rafe said, shocking his father twice in just a matter of minutes.

"Did you say children?" Vlad's voice was just above a whisper.

Rafe and Hunter smiled genuinely for the first time in weeks at the look on Vlad's face. The ancient vampire was completely floored.

"Yes old man. We did say children. Triplets as a matter of fact. All boys." Hunter replied.

Vlad looked from Rafe to Hunter and smiled, and said " Congratulations boys. We need to get them home now so that we can take better care of them."

"The jet’s fuelled and ready to go when we are." Hunter replied.

Their mood suddenly dampened at Hunter's words, because back home a traitor awaited them.

.......................................

The entire plane ride back to Cromwell City was accomplished in what seemed like record time. Cameron spent the entire flight, laying in bed wrapped around Hades, giving him comfort and reassurance. Cameron was no fool, he knew that something very traumatic must have happened to Liam for Hades to be holding on to his wolf form for so long and in away refusing to return to human form. But Cameron wasn't going to question it, he wasn't ready for the answer and so he chose to just focus on comforting Liam's wolf as best as he could.

It was night time when they arrived back in Cromwell City. Hunter, Rafe and Vlad quickly bundled Cameron and Hades into the waiting Limo on the tarmac. After a somewhat short drive, Cameron was surprised to find himself at the Penthouse apartment that Hunter kept in the city. Cameron turned to Hunter and asked, "What're we doing here? Why aren't we going straight to Hawkthorne Mansion?"

Hunter flicked his eyes towards Rafe for a brief moment, before turning to Cameron, "There is something that Rafe and I have to take care of at Hawkthorne first. Once that is done we'll come back and get you. Ok?"

"No. That is not ok. I want to know what's going on. Don't you think that I know that you two are keeping something from me. Now tell me what it is." Cameron was trying to keep his anger in check, so as not to upset Hades, or even worse scare him.

Rafe responded, "We promise to tell you everything when we get back." He kissed the side of Cameron's head gently, "don't worry ok. You know that the doctors said that worrying and stressing isn't good for you or the babies."

Cameron huffed and snorted in annoyance, "do you really think that you can pull that card with me and get away with it?" he pulled away from Rafe and glared daggers at him. "Just to inform you, the babies and I are all fine. Now tell me what the hell is going on now." He meant business and both Rafe and Hunter knew it.

At this point Vlad decided to intervene, seeing that Rafe and Hunter were floundering for an answer that would mollify Cameron without giving anything away. "Cameron, don't you think it's best not to bring Hades or Liam into a situation that is going to overwhelm them both. Hades already doesn't feel safe enough to allow Liam to resume his human form. I think it's best if you allow Hunter and Rafe to deal with this while you focus on your son. They'll tell you everything when they get back. You being worried and agitated while they’re both gone is only going to make Hades even more anxious and feel unsafe."

Cameron thought over what Vlad said, before reluctantly agreeing and getting out of the car. They all went up to the Penthouse Suite and after ensuring that both Cameron and Hades were safe and settled within the apartment, all three men left to confront the one that had done the unforgivable. The one who had betrayed them all.

.......................................

The man sat and waited. He wasn't nervous or anxious and he wasn't afraid, he had seen too much, experienced too much in his long life to let those emotions take hold of him. He knew this day would come. The day of reckoning. The day when his past would catch up with him. A past that he had worked hard to keep hidden. But all things must come to light one day. So he sat and waited.

As the car pulled up in front of the mansion and came to a stop, Hunter took a deep breath before getting out. He stood there for a moment dreading what layed ahead. He didn't want to do this, but he had no choice in the matter. The man that was waiting inside for him was indeed the one person that he would have never suspected of betraying him. But Vlad had showed him all the damming evidence and he could not turn a blind eye to it all.

Hunter was brought out of his thoughts by Rafe's concerned voice, "Hunter. Are you ok?"
Hunter shook his head but said nothing. He walked forward slowly, his steps heavy and measured. Rafe made as if to follow him, but was held back by Vlad. Rafe looked over at his father curiously, "No son. This is something that he has to do alone. Just be prepared to be there for him when it's all over. He's going to need your strength to get through this." Rafe nodded at Vlad in understanding and acknowledgement.

..........................................

Hunter entered the mansion and scented the air. There was only one person in the entire mansion. Hunter followed the sent to the study were the man sat waiting in his favourite arm chair. Upon reaching the study doors, Hunter took a deep steadying breath before slowly, quietly and gently pushing it open. It was dark inside, none of the lights were on, but Hunter could see clearly as if it were broad daylight. Hunter stepped inside the study and closed the door behind himself.

Hunter stared at the back of the arm chair that the man who had betrayed him was sitting in. Rage filled him, as he thought about how much he had trusted him, loved him, looked up to him, idolized and worshipped him. But even more significant than the rage that he was feeling at the man's betrayal, was the heartbreak that he was experiencing. He didn't know if he was ever going to be able to get over this.

Hunter slowly raised his hand and flicked on the light switch, flooding the room in light. Hunter heard as the man sucked in a deep breath, before releasing it slowly. Hunter watched, frozen to the spot as the man stood up from the chair and slowly turned to face him. "Hello son."

Hunter stared into his father's eyes, still somewhat unable to believe that the man who had raised him with such love, who had taught him the importance of family, love, trust and how to live his life with honour had been the one to turn around and betray him and his son to his worst enemy.

"Why?" Was all that Hunter was able to breath out.

"Because he was my son and he needed me." was Gregori's quiet reply.

Hunter reeled from his words, "Your son! Gerard Destiel was your son." He barely managed to choke out.

"Yes. He was my true first born, from a woman that I was in love with long before I met your mother, who is my true mate. After I met your mother Gerard's mother took him away and disappeared with him. He was just a baby at the time. I never saw him again until a few years ago." Gregori stated. "I started seeing him and meeting him in secret. I wanted to develop a relationship with him. I quickly realized that his mother had raised him to hate you and Thorne. To believe that you both had stolen his birth right from him. Nothing I said or did would dissuade him from taking his revenge against you. I thought I could control him by feeding him enough information to be usefully, but not enough to cause any real harm."

Hunter was still frozen to the spot, he had not moved a single muscle. His mind was trying to process what his father was saying, but he was having difficulty doing so. Hunter shook his head to clear it."None of what you've just said explains why you would betray me and put your own grandson into the hands of a madman! Do you have any fucking idea what he did to Liam, my son! He beat him to within an inch of his life and he raped him over and over again!" Hunter's voice was a roar by the time he was finished.

Unable to face Hunter's rage head on, Gregori whirled away to face the bay windows his head hanging in shame and deep regret. "I didn't know just how unstable Gerard was until he took Liam. All he wanted was to claim his rightful place on the Throne as my first born son."

"He never had a right to the Throne of Wolves. You never claimed him as your son and heir. In that case only a child of the true mate bond can claim the throne. Which is me or Thorne."

Gregori hung his head. There was nothing more that he could say. The ensuing silence stretched between them growing heavier and heavier,  almost suffocating them both.

Hunter finally broke it saying, "if it wasn't for my mother I would kill you right now. But she doesn't deserve to die because of you. But I will tell her everything. It will be her choice if she choses to go with you into exile, because from this moment on you are banished from the land of the wolves and sentenced to live out your remaining years in exile among the humans. No supernatural will ever speak to you or acknowledge your presence again."

With that Hunter walked out, struggling to hold back his tears, his heart splintering into a million pieces. Rafe met him on the mansion's door steps. Rafe took one look at his mate and without saying a word, Rafe enfolded Hunter into his arms, clutching him to his body. It was this act that finally broke Hunter and he let his tears finally flow freely.