Chapter 21: Ripped

Alessandro's POV

My hand quickly withdraws my pistol from my blazer, my eyes widening at the sight of my mother as I briskly aim my gun at her head, and she responds with a wicked smile, attempting to point her firearm at me.

Without hesitation, I pull the trigger, the bullet penetrating her skull, sending her crumpling to the floor in a pool of blood.

My horrified eyes then shift to Adriana, lying on the ground, whimpering and bleeding out.

NO.

The gun slips from my fingers, my heart pounding in terror, its beats echoing in my ears and stomach. "No, no, no," I shake my head vigorously as I hasten my way over to her, my breathing ragged inside my throat, my body feeble from the panic and scare that swamp me, causing my muscles to go tense.

Quickly, I drop to my knees before her on the floor and press my hands against her bleeding stomach wounds, attempting to staunch the heavy blood. "B-baby...shit. Do-do not worry..." my voice quavers as I press my hands against her firmly, my eyes watering from the sight of her in agony. "Help is on the way-way-" my voice cuts off when her hand covers mine, shifting my heart.

I look at her face, heavy breaths escaping her quivering lips, tears streaming down flushed cheeks as her eyes struggle to stay open.

My stomach clenches, imagining the pain she must be going through, and I wish I could take away it.

I wish I was shot, not her.

"Aless-Aless..." her quivering voice shakes as she endeavors to call me, and I quickly inch closer to her, pressing my hands against her stomach where the blood gushes. "It-it's ok..okay," her wimpy voice shakes, the words tightening my chest and anguishing my heart, causing a sob to leave my lips.

My head abruptly shakes as a soft cry leaves my lips. "No-no, baby, don't do this to me.... don't-don't do this to me...Help-help..." my voice cracks as I speak, knowing I cannot lose her. "...Help is on the way..." my voice smashes hoarsely. "Ares-Ares is coming to save you," I speak, dread creeping up from the hollow of my stomach as the fear of losing her intensifies.

I am helpless, forced to wait for help. Adriana is bleeding too much, and I cannot move my hands for a second.

It was not her the bullets were meant for. It was me. I was the one who was supposed to be shot, not her. Not my baby.

Why did she not let mother shoot me?

"Do-don't cry..." her frail voice trails off as she coughs blood, quickly turning her head to the side to release it, causing worry to take over my body, my breathing hitchhiking, my heart rate expanding, and drowning me with added adrenaline.

I shake my head at her, unable to stop crying. "I-I was the one that was supposed to get-get shot-not y-you baby...not you..." I quickly remove my hands from her, pulling my blazer off and quickly pressing it against her open wounds.

She shakes her head at me, wincing in pain. "N-no, I am glad...t-that it's me...I can't live without...you-you," tears slip from the corners of her watery eyes, and I shake my head at her, knowing I can not live without her.

I can not. I need her.

I need the love of my life.

"Baby...please... HELP! HELP!" I holler for anyone. Ares is on his way, but I need someone now. I need someone to save her before it is too late. "HELP! SOMEONE!"

A cry leaves my lips as I hear no one.

No one is coming to save her, but I know she will be saved. I know she will. She can not die. She just cannot.