Chapter Four

A week had passed since the incident and the boys kept to their word. They didn't speak a word of it to Tony and had kept by Lilly every minute of the day. They weren't taking any chances. Clint had suddenly disappeared from school after the incident and the three friends were very worried that something bad had happened. But that was immediately shut down when Lilly caught something that broke her heart. 

"Veronica and Clint are an item," Lilly says, tears in her eyes. 

"What! That can't be right." Josh says. "He literally hates the girl." 

"Well, they are," Lilly says, anger in her voice. 

"You liked him didn't you?" Tyler asked. "And you can't lie Lilly because you wouldn't be biting Josh's head off if you didn't." 

Lilly hangs her head. "I did." 

"I'm sorry Lilly." The boys say in unison. 

After Lilly heard the heart-wrenching news, Clint came back a day later and Lilly gave him the cold shoulder. She wasn't going to speak to him because she knew if she did, she would go crazy on him. She's lost too many people in her life, he added to her list. 

*next day*

"Are you gonna go to homecoming?" Josh asks Lilly as they sit down at lunch. 

"I don't know," Lilly says, looking down at her food. "It's just another party and now that Tony is starting to hold all the company parties plus his own random ones I don't think I wanna add another to the list." 

"Oh come on," Josh whines just as Tyler approaches the table. Next to him was a slim girl with blonde hair with blue through it. "Ooo Tyler who is your lady friend?" 

"Lilly and Josh, this is Paige." Tyler introduces. "My girlfriend." 

"Nice to meet you," Lilly says, offering the girl a warm smile. 

Paige gives Lilly a look but she couldn't quite tell what it was or for so she decided to ignore it. The new couple sits down and the subject of homecoming comes up again. 

"Alright fine I'll go." Lilly puts her hands up in mock surrender when everyone tries to get her to go. 

They all began making arrangements. Lilly zones out and looks around the cafeteria in pure boredom. Her eyes then lock with Clint. So many emotions were written on her face and Clint's face reflected most of them. Veronica then notices them staring at each other, so she grabs his face and kisses him. So many different emotions are going through Lilly's head when she sees this. Tears prick her eyes when she looks away and focuses on what her friends are saying. It was the only distraction she had without running out of the cafeteria. 

The bell finally went and everyone headed to class. Lilly wasn't happy that she didn't have Biology after the break. She really didn't want to talk to Clint or be around him right now. He really seemed to enjoy being with Veronica. The thought made Lilly's heart ache. Lilly sits down in her History class, propping her head on her hand. She really didn't like this class. It was boring and her teacher was weird. The lesson started and Lilly just drew in her book, not bothering to listen. She could easily get an A in his class without listening. He was an easy marker. The bell then rang and Lilly realized Clint skipped the class. He always came in late but he never skipped. Or at least since he has been at the school. 

Lilly was the last out of the class. She just walks out when someone grabs her arm and pulls her to the side. She was ready to punch them when she saw who it was. Instead, she slaps him across the face. He wasn't the least bit fazed. 

"What do you want?" Lilly says, her arms crossed. 

"I wanted to talk to you Lilly," Clint says, a pleading look in his eyes. 

"Okay. Talk." Lilly was confused why she even said it but it was too late to take it back now. 

"I know what was going through your head when you heard that Veronica and I were dating. Truth is I'm only dating her because I don't want to see you get hurt either physically or verbally." Clint explains. "It is hell being around that girl all the time but as long as you are okay and she isn't hurting you anymore that is all that matters." 

Lilly was amazed that Clint would do that for her. "You didn't have to do that Clint." 

"I wanted to Lilly. I would do anything for you. We are friends." Clint sends Lilly a smile. 

Lilly returns it and gives Clint a small hug. "Thank you." She says quietly. 

"Anytime peaches," Clint says, returning the hug. 

"Do Tyler and Josh know?" Lilly then asked as Clint walked Lilly to her next class. 

Clint nods his head. "Yeah, they do. I told them while you suffered Mr. Williams's History class." 

"Oh my god, he is so boring," Lilly whines. "Does he really think any of us listen? Except for maybe the nerds and history buffs." 

"Aren't you a nerd though?" Clint teases. 

"No. I am not like any of the gross people. I am just smart because my brother and dad are know-it-alls." Lilly laughs. 

The rest of the day went by a breeze. Lilly was happy to know the truth but it still hurts that he had to keep up the act, hopefully not for long. The four friends were talking outside the front of the school. 

"Why don't we all hang out?" Tyler says. "We haven't for a while." 

"Sounds great. Lilly is your brother home?" Josh asks. 

Lilly rolls her eyes. "He won't be home till later yes we can hang out at my house." 

Everyone laughs. Lilly, Josh, and Tyler get into Josh's car while Clint gets on his motorbike saying he'll follow them. After a 10-minute drive, they pull into Lilly's driveway. When Lilly gets out of the car, she sees Clint's face and laughs. 

"This is your house?" Clint asks in disbelief. 

"Yup," Lilly says. "My brother's pick obviously but what can I do." 

They all walk inside and Lilly throws her backpack on the nearby chair. 

"Welcome home Miss Stark. Mr Stark has asked that I pass on that he will be ordering Chinese." JARVIS says, causing Clint to jump. 

"Lilly's brother invented an AI that manages the house," Tyler whispers. 

Then something hit Clint and it hit him hard. "Wait, you're Tony Stark's sister?" 

Lilly nods. "Yeah. Not something I tell everyone." 

So many things were going through Clint's head. This was her. She had been right in front of him this whole time and he didn't even realize. Do they know she's here? Should I tell her it's me? Does she already know?

All these emotions were going through him as he followed the group to Lilly's room. When he walked in he was amazed. Her room was filled with photos of all times in her life. He couldn't reveal himself to Lilly because that would just be putting her in danger.  He couldn't do that, especially the trouble he caused when he left the Underground.