Chapter 6 Comfort From a Crush

Fizz walked with a heavy heart toward the house, his hopes resting on Emmy's potential assistance. As he approached the door, he heard Emmy's voice calling out to him, "Is that you? My Jester?"

Fizz hesitated briefly before replying, "Yeah, Emmy... It's me."

"Hey, you didn't call me by my codename," she said, sounding disappointed that he didn't address her as 'Songbird.'

"Sorry, Emmy... I'm just not feeling up to it today," he apologized.

"Are you okay?" Emmy asked, her concern evident.

At first, Fizz considered lying and saying he was fine, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. "I'm f-... no... I'm not," he admitted, his legs giving out as he knelt in front of the door.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Emmy inquired.

Fizz was torn between sharing what had happened with Mammon or remaining silent. He struggled to find the words. "I... I-"

Suddenly, he heard movement on the other side of the door. It sounded like Emmy was leaning against it. Fizz asked with a puzzled look, "Uh... Emmy? Are you... hugging the... door?"

She replied playfully, "Well, I would hug you... but... you know."

Fizz faintly laughed at her childish act of kindness. "Hehe... thanks," he said, shifting from kneeling to sitting with his back against the door and hugging his knees. Taking a deep breath, he began to speak.

"Well, I got a visit from Mammon earlier... saying he wants a new performer for his next shows and... wants to make an offer."

"Really, Fizz? He wants you guys to perform with him?" Emmy asked.

He paused before continuing, "Not quite... He said that he wants to work with me and only me."

Emmy felt saddened by that revelation. She knew that Blitzo and Fizz were always together for the show and in life. Hearing that someone wanted to separate them was heartbreaking. She understood why Fizz would be upset.

Fizz did a faint giggle to himself and said, "You know, back before I met you, I had horrible stage fright. I would shake non-stop from anxiety every time I went on stage. It was so bad that I would throw up from nerves, and I was so embarrassed. I can't tell you how many costumes I ruined, how many times everyone looked down on me for being a disgrace, and how many times Buckzo yelled at me for making a fool out of the circus. It was all hard to bear, and I felt like nothing until Blitzo came along. I remember what was going to be my last show, after that, Buckzo would have kicked me out, and I truly believed that I wasn't cut out as an entertainer. My anxiety was about to get the better of me, but then Blitzo got on the stage, started telling his jokes and acting like a total goof with me, and somehow, my anxiety faded away. They laughed, smiled, and applauded me. For the first time in my life, I felt like I was on top of the world, all because I had him by my side. It was him who helped me overcome my fears on stage and made me love performing."

Emmy continued to listen to his story, and he went on, "Blitzo got me to where I am today. I wouldn't be here without him. I couldn't possibly do this without him. I know everyone believes that I'd be better off without him, but no one can see how important he is to me, not even Blitzo... and I hate it."

"I'm so sorry, Fizz," Emmy apologized. "If it makes you feel better... I think they're all crazy for not seeing how awesome you guys are."

Fizz was flattered that she was trying to make him feel better. "I appreciate it... But you've never actually seen any of our shows... Thanks, though."

"You know, Emmy," he said, "I think you're the one person who's keeping me sane right now. I'd be lost without you." Fizz then started to cry. "It's just... not fair... I'm so tired of this... I wish... that I could... disappear and... I wouldn't have to feel this way..."

His tears overwhelmed him, and he couldn't speak any longer. Emmy began to sing to him:

"Come stop your crying
It will be alright
Just take my hand
Hold it tight
I will protect you
From all around you
I will be here
Don't you cry"

Fizz's tears began to calm as he listened to her enchanting song:

"For one so small
You seem so strong
My arms will hold you
Keep you safe and warm
This bond between us
Can't be broken
I will be here don't you cry"

Fizz's tears began to subside as he kept listening:

"Cause you'll be in my heart
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more

You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart
AlwaysAlways"

She stopped singing, and Fizz remained in a trance for a moment. Then he said, "That's beautiful. I've never heard a song like that before."

"Thank you," Emmy responded warmly. "Whenever I feel sad or scared, my mom used to sing me songs she heard from the living world."

Fizz then asked with curiosity, "Wait, your mom goes to the living world?"

Emmy hesitated for a moment but then continued, "Y-yeah... My mom travels there for work sometimes. She even brings back souvenirs, like toys, dresses, jewelry. My absolute favorites are Broadway CDs and albums from various artists. I've been passionate about music since I was a little girl, and it's always been my dream to become a singer. I..."

Emmy's enthusiasm momentarily caused her to lose her train of thought. Fizz continued to listen, amused by her excitement. She refocused and said, "The point is, music has this incredible way of connecting people and conveying emotions to the listener. What I'm trying to say is, you're not alone."

Fizz looked down at the floor and sighed, "But what am I going to do now? I mean... how am I going to tell Blitz?"

Emmy replied, her voice filled with empathy, "Look, I know it's a tough decision to make, balancing your dream career with Mammon and your personal life at the circus... But try to have an open and honest conversation with Blitz about Mammon. He might understand and support you. My mom used to say, 'Communication can often lead to solutions that benefit everyone.' You could set some conditions for dealing with Mammon."

Fizz's smile returned as he felt like he had found a solution. "You sound wise," he remarked.

Emmy said proudly, "Yeah, I know. I got my wisdom from her."

They both burst into laughter, and Fizz stopped laughing briefly to express his gratitude, "But thanks... for the advice. I really needed to hear that."

As they continued their conversation, neither of them was aware that they were being watched by a shadowy figure lurking in the shadows.